pregnancy testing

Help Support CattleToday:

pd

Reaction score
I had the vet out last week to pregnancy test my cows. They used the same glove for all the cows (20). Is that normal? :?: I would have thought that a new glove for each cow would have been best to prevent spread of disease or whatever?

It is best to use a new glove for every cow but it is normal (atleast for us) to use the same glove on multiple cows. I would think that since he was a vet and was being payed HE would have used a new glove each time.

gee - thanks for your fast reply txshowmom. :D . Next time I will say something. Being a bit of a greenhorn to this procedure - I didn't want to tell the vet their job :oops: . But hopefully nothing bad will come of it.

Thanks again.

If youve got twenty cows you probably have one bull.

They all have the same husband!

If one has a disease, they all have it.

If your vet would have checked an infected cow he would have called it and he would have changed his sleeve.

Don't worry about it, he knows what he is doing.

Hillbilly

Unless the sleeve gets a tear or starts to leak I'll use the same glove over and over when breeding, our vet uses the same glove for preg checking under the same qualifications.

dun

Our vet uses a different glove for each cow, but, we have 2 bulls, plus we AI some, and some were bought already bred.

rgv4":y5xt2y86 said:
Our vet uses a different glove for each cow, but, we have 2 bulls, plus we AI some, and some were bought already bred.

I don't see why the number of bulls or being AIed or not should matter. The glove isn't anywhere near the bull would have been. Unless it's a strange bull or a clumsy vet.
Any diseases that would be spread via the intestines would probably already be spread just from contact/exposure to the manure in the pasture.

dun

Any diseases that would be spread via the intestines would probably already be spread just from contact/exposure to the manure in the pasture.

dun[/quote]

We keep our cattle seperated into different pastures depending on pasture bred, AI or new arrivals.

Latest posts