Pregnancy testing cows

Help Support CattleToday:

Ann Bledsoe

Reaction score
Now I know that for the majority of cattle producers, this doesn't make a bit of difference. But for those like me, who can't afford to have their handful of "pets" turn up open when they're supposed to be bred, this might come in real handy.

Human pregnancy tests work on cattle!
I tested both of my Jersey cows with a test called "Answer" (like EPT, tests for same hormone but much cheaper).
One cow was known to be open, the other had already been palpated pregnant.
The bred cow was at 66 days when tested and the test showed a positive.
The open cow (and a bull calf) tested negative (wanted to make sure it wouldn't show all cattle with a positive result).

The other cow is due to cycle again in the next couple of days and will be AI'd. I plan to test her on a weekly basis after she's bred to find out just how early the test will detect the pregnancy hormone in the cow. It's supposed to work on humans 3 days before the next cyle is due. It would be great if it would pick it up on a cow at or before the time the next cycle is due.

Ann B

Interesting to know.

Where did you purchase the product "Answer"? What were the procedures you used to get the results? Guess you had to pen the cow and put it in a chute/head gate and the wait for her to urinate???

I bought the test at the local grocery store.
It's basically a one piece unit with an absorbent tip. That tip has to stay in the urine or urinestream for 10 seconds to ensure that it becomes saturated, then the test is laid flat and the result is read after 3 minutes.

My cows are Jersey milk cows, even when dry they're brought in and stanchioned on a daily basis when they get their grain, so urine collection is not a problem at all. Usually, just give them a few minutes and they'll go. And if you rub just below the vulva with a (gloved) knuckle, it will induce most cows to go at least enough for the test. Basically it simulates a bull nosing them. Bull noses them, they release urine for him to smell.
Wouldn't be hard though to attach a cup to a pole, so that you could collect from distance. (I can just see people standing around holding poles with cups attached, waiting on "Ol' Bessie" to decide that she needs to go. LOL)

Ann B

I had heard a long time ago that these "human" tests would also work for cattle testing.. but had a hard time picturing myself telling the cashier at Sam's why I needed a case of the things!

TheBullLady":3qeakk0m said:
I had heard a long time ago that these "human" tests would also work for cattle testing.. but had a hard time picturing myself telling the cashier at Sam's why I needed a case of the things!
Just tell her or him that you own an abortion clinic.

Can anyone tell me what these cost, could be cheaper than getting them palpated? And how early they can be used?

la4angus":1frw2wsu said:
TheBullLady":1frw2wsu said:
Just tell her or him that you own an abortion clinic.

Ann Bledsoe":32y0baco said:
Now I know that for the majority of cattle producers, this doesn't make a bit of difference. But for those like me, who can't afford to have their handful of "pets" turn up open when they're supposed to be bred, this might come in real handy.

Human pregnancy tests work on cattle!
I tested both of my Jersey cows with a test called "Answer" (like EPT, tests for same hormone but much cheaper).
One cow was known to be open, the other had already been palpated pregnant.
The bred cow was at 66 days when tested and the test showed a positive.
The open cow (and a bull calf) tested negative (wanted to make sure it wouldn't show all cattle with a positive result).

The other cow is due to cycle again in the next couple of days and will be AI'd. I plan to test her on a weekly basis after she's bred to find out just how early the test will detect the pregnancy hormone in the cow. It's supposed to work on humans 3 days before the next cyle is due. It would be great if it would pick it up on a cow at or before the time the next cycle is due.

Ann B
thanks for the info. I will try them next week, I A.I. 60 cows on the 15th of Feb.

Except the new picture shows that long Brahman face. Every one I ever had like that had to grow wheels. Hard on the pocketbook, people, fences and cowpens.

As in stock trailer wheels. Go down the road. Go live with somebody else. But usually, go to the sale barn

dun

cherokeeruby":1734l72f said:
Grow wheels??

I tried it with the Wal-Mart brand pregnancy tests this weekend. 2 that are palpated bred @ 8 mts and two heifers that are open. None of the tests even registered. The control window didn't even show up. I followed the directions and nothing showed up. Maybe these tests don't work the same?

Latest posts