Pregnancy signs. ASAP! Thanks

Help Support CattleToday:

Lrj505

Reaction score
Just bought some pregnant cows. Don't know how far along they are. I am posting a pic. 2 of the 4 are isolating hem self from the rest and the ligaments seem really sunk. How long til I should expect a calf? Thanks very new to all this and appreciate the help.

First thing I would do is find a good large animal vet. Get them palpated and they will be able to give you an idea of the length of the pregnancy. Get advice on how to feed since they seem thin. If you are new to cattle, you really don't know for sure they are even pregnant. Unfortunately there are people that see a newbie coming and will tell/sell you anything. And maybe you got hooked up with a decent honest person. But to buy a "pregnant" animal, I want some kind of guarantee that they are pregnant and about how far along they are.

Sincerely hope that that animal is not pregnant, it is in a terrible state. As Farmerjan suggested, get hold of a vet that can palpate as well as advise on vaccinations, deworming, minerals and feed urgently.

All the best with your animals...

From the pictures posted, all I see is an animal that is very thin, has either rubbed its hind end or it has lice. If this animal is pregnant, it is not outwardly obvious.

As has already been suggested, to know for sure, get a vet involved who can palpate, or do an ultrasound.

If the rest of your purchased animals look like this one, I strongly suggest giving them access to good quality hay, free choice, as well as a good loose mineral, free choice and a bit of feed daily with access to whatever grass you may have. It probably wouldn't hurt to deworm them as well.

Here are better pics. I feed 2 bales of alfalfa a day and one bale of Sudan grass. How much more should I feed them ?

I don't even see any indication of udder development. I would think if they were very pregnant we could see a hint of an udder in these pics.

Here are the 4 I bought I paid $600 each. The last pic of her laying was about 3 weeks ago before i bought her with her last years calf

Just had calves weaned off em id say.
Their a little rough and have some age on them. Far from starved though. I think you got a little wait.
Could be wrong.... wouldn't be the first time. ;-)

Edit to add...I'd look in their mouth before I looked in the other end.

Thanks for advice. Is it better to it to buy old pregnant cheap cows get a calf , then sell the old cow and try to get your money back, while keeping the calf ? Or buying bred heifers and spending a little more ? Is should I sell the pair or ??!!

Lrj505":34ww67ar said:
Thanks for advice. Is it better to it to buy old pregnant cheap cows get a calf , then sell the old cow and try to get your money back, while keeping the calf ? Or buying bred heifers and spending a little more ? Is should I sell the pair or ??!!

If you've got pasture and they have some teeth you could keep them and get the calf. I wouldn't sell as pairs. Wean the calf early before the cows loose condition and sell everything. :2cents:

If they don't have teeth and/or you or gonna have to feed them. I would say sell them. If you're gonna be dumping out feed might as well be to better stock. :2cents:

They really don't look that terrible. Little rough and high mileage.

Hard to believe that the red cow in first picture is only 3 weeks since the picture of her with the calf. Lost a LOT of weight in 3 weeks???????
As I buyer, you need to learn how to visually analyze the body condition of cattle. Were you able to see how thin they are before everyone told you?
http://www.cowbcs.info/photogallery.html

https://www.bing.com/images/search?q=ca ... &FORM=IGRE

Please take the time to look at this site & try to analyze and compare where your animals fit into the BCS.
Hard to tell with pictures, but to me they look like a BCS of 2

Pasture November 15- March 15 on dormant alfalfa grass field. My dad has 1000 acre farm. So feed cost me about $1.00 a day a cow a day. I really appreciate the help. My dads a great farmer horrible cowboy. So let the calves get to about 500 pounds , and sell everything and buy younger stock?

You may have some good cows in that set right there. Buying good bred cows is a crap shoot, you just need to pick through them when you get them home and see their calves. I'd much rather by a bred commercial cow than a commercial bred heifer. Check teeth and keep those that have a mouth full and raise a nice calf. There's nothing wrong with thin cows, a good worming and decent hay - pasture can turn them around within a year.

Again, I am not one to say to spend alot of money needlessly. Since you admit to being a newbie to cattle, and your comment that your dad is a great farmer but not a cowboy, then you need a little help and guidance. SO, you really ought to get a vet out. Go over the cows with you. Tell you their general age, see if they really are pregnant. If they are not terribly old, just needing some feeding and hay to get their body condition up, then you might have a good deal as TrueGrit says. I definitely do not suggest bred heifers for someone who is not real experienced. Bred cows that have done it before are a much safer way to go. You need some experience with calving and cows are a little better learning curve than heifers. These could be a good deal for you but you really need to know exactly where they stand. The price was good, but if they are old, or are not confirmed pregnant, then you will be better off putting some weight on them and calving the bred ones out and selling the open ones. Without a vet palpating them, or a blood test, there is no way to be sure they are bred.

In my opinion, right now free choice hay, preferably just a good grass hay would do them a world of good. Maybe a square bale or 2 of alfalfa for extra protein but not too much or you could cause other problems with them getting too much rich feed when their systems are not used to it. I mean as much grass hay as they can/will eat. They need to get filled up and get their gut tract in good working order and in a month they will look way different and start to put on weight. But there is no reason to keep feeding them if any are not pregnant.

Lrj505":z97oihvd said:
Pasture November 15- March 15 on dormant alfalfa grass field. My dad has 1000 acre farm. So feed cost me about $1.00 a day a cow a day. I really appreciate the help. My dads a great farmer horrible cowboy. So let the calves get to about 500 pounds , and sell everything and buy younger stock?

Depends. Lot of times it's better to wean at about 350. Your gonna sell the cow to. You want to do it before she loses condition.
You can usually make a pretty good profit doing this. As long as you have good grass. And sometimes you get lucky and find a diamond in the rough.

Latest posts