Pregnancy questions

Help Support CattleToday:

Kerry

Reaction score
I am investigating the idea of artifically inseminating my Dexter heifer, she is 17 months old. I have a person who will perform the A.I. and have found a farm to obtain the serem. Can you guys give me some advice about what I need to do to get my heifer ready for pregnancy. I am also going to call my vet but I have gotten such great advice from so many of you in the past, I wanted to get some of your opinions as well. Thank you.

To insure she settles, make sure she is on a slightly gaining plane of condition, vaccinations are current, she's wormed and used to be restrained.

dun

Kerry":1jlo8r3m said:
When you say "slightly gaining plane of condition", do you mean her diet?

Her diet will dictate how she is gaining. But she should be gaining a little weight/body condition.

dun

I would also say that you should not move her to have her AId unless you are going to let her settle in to the new environment for a couple of weeks. I have moved heifers only 20 miles, and it sets them back one breeding cycle. It's better to do it on your place if possible.

My plan is to have the A.I. done at the house - so far everything is falling into place, the farmer who has experience doing A.I., lives in the same county as I do, so does the person who has the tank where the serem will be strored. :D

We AI'd two of our dexters...one took on the 2nd try :) and the other didn't take, even after FOUR attempts...(we decided she prefers the 'original container' so we will use natural service with her....) :mad: :x I think that this particular cow just doesn't respond well to the synchronization meds.

I worked with both cows daily, ran them through the chute many times to get used to the noise and restraint, etc., and keep them as calm as possible for the AI. Well, at least we have one confirmed, even though she'll calve in January....she 'took' on April Fool's Day, just my luck!

Our vet (who is quite tall) complains about having to bend down so far to work on these girls.

We tried AI before purchasing our first bull without success, although the technician thinks we had a pregnancy and lost it by moving a them 30 miles in the next day or two. He had me feed them some high-protein breeder cubes-like 30% for a while beforehand. I guess it didn't help.The bull had them all bred in two weeks, and I didn't have to get up every few hours at night to check for heat.

greenwillowherefords":2qgkl4w0 said:
.........I didn't have to get up every few hours at night to check for heat.
Why would you do that, anyway? Bulls don't check 'em that often, do they?

Texan":2lj7tg3g said:
greenwillowherefords":2lj7tg3g said:
.........I didn't have to get up every few hours at night to check for heat.
Why would you do that, anyway? Bulls don't check 'em that often, do they?

I'm sure going along with Texan on this one. We do 100% AI, check them for about 1/2 an hour or so morning and evening. First service conception runs in the high 90% range.
With synch programs they still toute 65% as being about average. Natural heats provide the best chances of success.

dun

Latest posts