Preganant moody Arabian

Help Support CattleToday:

RoptCwGrl

Reaction score
Howdy,
I've been reading your posts for some time and thought that I should finally join :lol:
I have a pregnant 18 yo Arabian mare that accidentally bred with my husbands paint. When I say accidentally I mean just that…we take very good care of our horses and make sure we keep the stallion away from the mares. But apparently a 5ft fence wasn't tall enough and our stallion jumped it. Anyways they bred and now she is the moodiest mare I have ever seen. I'm a horse novice and this is only my second pregnant mare I've owned. When we bought her she came with her then 4 mo filly and had a wonderful temperament. That was 3 years ago. She is a great riding/training horse, but since she bred she's become a pain in the neck. Ok now for my question…do some mares just get moody?? Will this change once she's foaled? I know this may seem like a really silly question to some, but I'm amazed at how much her temperament has changed. She hasn't hurt anyone or anything, but keeps her ears pinned more than I've ever seen her do in the past. The vet says she's healthy….and she doesn't act like she's in pain (other than being pregnant). This will only be her third foal. So that's why I thought I'd ask. :oops:

Hey, first thanks for the help on the hay question I had. Yes mares will get moody while pregnant. As a father of 4 I think mares go though lot of th same things humans go through, uncomfortable, feeling under the weather, hard to sleep, irratable. My mare is due the first part of April and while she hads never pinned her ears at me she goes through mood swings. might watch your mare close after she foals with her pinning her ears at you. But I bet she comes around pretty quick.

If your Paint stud has much white on him he could throw a well colored baby, should be a good looking horse. When is she due?

Alan

That's pretty much what I thought. I know I got moody when I was pregnant :lol: But it was just such a tempermant change that it suprised me.

Yes my paint is a Tobiano with black, brown and white (but mostly white). My mare is flea bitten grey, so I'm hoping for a good looking baby. She's due in June. So I'll keep you posted! Thanks for your input!

Jeannine

I breed Arabians and tend to notice that during their first few months of pregnancy they tend to get aggitated and moody...it all seems to fade with time. So nothing really to worry about. Good luck.

RoptCwGrl":1mrzrz8w said:
Yes my paint is a Tobiano with black, brown and white (but mostly white). My mare is flea bitten grey, so I'm hoping for a good looking baby. She's due in June. So I'll keep you posted! Thanks for your input!

Jeannine

I have a flea bitten grey arabian; she was bred to a spotted saddle horse. The foal was born like a paint, with black and white markings. After about two years, you could barely notice any of the black anymore. Always fascinated me about arabians, how they change colors as they age.

Thanks for the posts! When we first bought this mare she came with a 4 month old foal (who is now 3). My mare had the most beautiful strawberry blonde mane and now it's just regular blonde. Her filly is a bay and looks nothing like her mama :lol:

Thanks again and I'll keep you posted.

I have an abrab mare--who was so crotchety that she killed her foal---Shes ignorant all the time only reason I havent turned her in to dog meat is because she only lets me ride her

Latest posts