Preg. Testing

Help Support CattleToday:

They can be ultrasounded at 30 days and palpated at 45 days. I have heard if a preg test out there that I guess is similar to a home preg test for a woman but I don't know anything about it. Hope this is what you were looking for.

Somewhat, I know what palpate means but not in this sense. Is there an opening in the cervex that would be a dead giveaway?

Thanks.

Go GW, I lived in Texas from '79 - '88 and loved it.

No you go through the rectum. I recommend that you get someone with experiance to teach you its not really something you can learn on your own. I am not saying its imposible to learn on your own but it will take a long time.

txshowmom":2xdn9n0d said:
No you go through the rectum. I recommend that you get someone with experiance to teach you its not really something you can learn on your own. I am not saying its imposible to learn on your own but it will take a long time.

i agree.. i read and read and read up on it, and tried it a few times and just couldnt get it together... then i had a vet palpate a few cows and then let me palpate the same cow. he told me what i was feeling of etc.. in each cow.

a great help.. then lots of experience helps you to get better at it.

my learning curve was shortened considerably in just a couple hours that day.

jt

Palpation is definitely not the job for the inexperienced and untrained. We have found that even the Vet's have a wide range of accuracy in palpation. One Vet we had used palpated one of our cows and said she was "Open." Gave her a shot to cycle her again. She aborted a 2-3 month old fetus! That Vet not used again for "serious" procedures anymore. Get recommendations from others on a good vet to use for palpation. In the first 3-4 months of pregnancy the size of the calf fetus should be in the egg/small or large mouse/rat size. Ultrasound is always the most accurate if you have a Vet that has the equipment and knows how to use it correctly.

60days, size of a mouse, can get membrane slip
72 days size of a rat
90 days size of a watermelon
4 months drops into abdomen, can feel caruncles
5 months, thrill in uterine artery
8 months--it's darn big, can feel size of head and or feet

I do palpation as of 30 days, but I won't certify pregnant until 60 days (that's the standard). I'm pretty certain as of 42 days, not many slip after that.

There are courses you can take on it.

Clear as mud?
V

There is a test kit avaliable to test for OPEN cows . You can purchase it from Concepto- Diagonistics. in Tenn. They advertise it as a test to detect open cows , not bred cows. They had problems with false positives , so they decided to detect opens rather than pregnants. All the same sounds to me like .It can be used with a milk sample or blood sample as early as 7 days after breeding they say.

Bush /Cheney 2004

Latest posts