preg rates

Help Support CattleToday:

joe

Reaction score
I talked to my sister today, (Antonio TX area) she says they had a train wreck at preg check time, vet says it's wide spread due to the heat and drought this year? anyone heard anything similar?

The last 2 years have been that way around here. Calves a month or so later then usual and moe open cows. Our AI rate for first service conseptions dropped to 75% the last 2 years. The bulls aren;t fairing much if any better. A lot of instances of missing a heat then coming back in the next time around.

dun

Knock on wood, but I think we're ok with the spring calving cows. It was so hot for so long this summer, I was concerned about them slipping a calf. We haven't had them palpated, but haven't seen any heats and we watch them pretty close.

Its 86 here right now, low this morning was 73. Supposed to drop to 50 tonight and 40 tomorrow night. Then climbing back up towards the middle of the week. Thats the way it has been for the last month or so, get a day or 2 of cold weather, then back up into the 80s.

EDIT: Wow, I completely posted this in the wrong topic.

Because of the drought we didn't even try to breed any of our mares back this year. And I lost one mare and a yearling horse colt to gas colic. My vet told me he was getting six to ten calls a day for the same thing.Z

joe":3547dnty said:
I talked to my sister today, (Antonio TX area) she says they had a train wreck at preg check time, vet says it's wide spread due to the heat and drought this year? anyone heard anything similar?

We had a train wreck also at preg check. Vet said hot weather was hard on the bulls sperm count. We were pretty well blindsided with this because like another poster, we had no visual on them returning to heat.

I thought you were suppose to put bulls in in the winter. I guess yall are looking for a fall sale.

Green Creek":9gd375xx said:
Vet said hot weather was hard on the bulls sperm count.
The problem lies not only with the bulls but the cows at implantation time, about 2 weeks after conception or there abouts. A high temp or higg humidity causes failures to implant and can cause the implanted embryo ot slough beacuse of a poor environment. What it boils down to is that it isn;t just the leading up to and actual breeding date that causes poor preg rates, it's the time frame following it also. With the fairly common May-June breeding period it gets to be a relatively common problem.

dun

dun":xf7y31gs said:
Green Creek":xf7y31gs said:
Vet said hot weather was hard on the bulls sperm count.
The problem lies not only with the bulls but the cows at implantation time, about 2 weeks after conception or there abouts. A high temp or higg humidity causes failures to implant and can cause the implanted embryo ot slough beacuse of a poor environment. What it boils down to is that it isn;t just the leading up to and actual breeding date that causes poor preg rates, it's the time frame following it also. With the fairly common May-June breeding period it gets to be a relatively common problem.

dun

We haven't had the problem before but again, this summer was not an average breeding season. We run a fall calving herd also and had no problems so point well taken.

we AIed my heifer and lucky for us it was right in those 20 something das over 100, she didn't take the 1st time but took the 2nd time.

Latest posts