Preg Checking

Help Support CattleToday:

You'll save a bunch of money, time, and aggravation if you can eliminate the vet as much as possible in your operation.
The only things that I currently rely on the vet for is semen testing bulls and pelvic measuring heifers. My next goal is to aquire one of the gauges that they use for pelvic measuring so I can eliminate that as well.
I do often purchase my meds through the vet office and maintain a good relationship so that I can call and consult with the occasional odd health issues. This service can be invaluable.
Well, it is possible to eliminate the vet completely. But may not be the best plan if you want to establish and maintain a good relationship and receive quick consultations. Just saying. Some people unsuccessfully try to establish that relationship during a crisis or late at night.

Well, it is possible to eliminate the vet completely. But may not be the best plan if you want to establish and maintain a good relationship and receive quick consultations. Just saying. Some people unsuccessfully try to establish that relationship during a crisis or late at night.
Not sure you read my post very well..I still use the vet for meds and a few services. I honestly think most vets would prefer cattleman not to bother them so they can focus and cash in on fluffy and rover.

My vets do nothing but cattle and when I need them, I REALLY need them. I'd love to do my own preg checking but I can't. The only thing I really need it for is to tell me if she's bred or not. No need to keep an open cow on my place. I have a 60 day window now that I worked hard to get to so I'm not real worried about them missing it.

@bird dog would a blood test provide accurate results on pregnancy detection if done at weaning with 7 month old calves and 4-5 months after cows with bull?

Can't see myself gathering my cattle, drawing blood, waiting for results, then getting the cows back in and sorting the dry's off for sale. Makes zero sense for this operation.
Here the vet comes, cattle are preg checked, dry cows and culls go one way out of the chute, breds another direction. Next morning the dry / cull cows get on a truck.
Preg testing is the only time a vet ever comes out, so is a good opportunity to have him look at different things and to maintain that vet / client relationship that is becoming ever so necessary.

Silver hit the nail on the head as to ehy I have them palpated, though I have considered trying to change up a little and just do a blood test.

@bird dog would a blood test provide accurate results on pregnancy detection if done at weaning with 7 month old calves and 4-5 months after cows with bull?
I believe that the tests are accurate from 30 days bred on.

Lazy M is correct. If they are bred at least 28 days, the blood test is mostly accurate. The accuracy percentage goes up a few points when they are further along. I can see Silvers point of view. Blood testing is not for everyone. Around here, getting a vet out is not easy and not cheap.

For me since I rotational graze, the cows rotate into the pasture with the pens every 30 to 45 days so cows that test open are caught and shipped the next time they come around. If thats not an option, I can leave the cows in the pastures close to the pens until the results come back which is usually on two or three days. I can send them priority mail for $7 which gets them to the lab in two days or less. The lab emails the results usually the same day received.

If done after weaning, letting the cows make another rotation puts some flesh back on them to where they look a little better and weigh a little better when they goo to market.