Preg check at salebarn....

Help Support CattleToday:

eric

Reaction score
Was at salebarn last weekend, and had my wife with me.
We were watching the guys preg check and vaccinate the cows in the squeeze chute. Didnt think much about it until she asked me if the guy ever changes gloves while he preg checks the cows. We watched him check probably a hundred cows, never changed sleeves once. Is this pretty much the norm and could this cause any problems with diseases or anything?

While I don't support it, Yes it is fairly common, especially at the sale barn.

They must use a lot better sleeves then I do. After about a dozen or so head it usually starts to leak

dun

A 100 may be a bit of an exaggeration, but it was definately more than 50!! I think the only time he changed was when he took a smoke break...man does that glove get nasty too!!

Oops! Guess sale barn "vets" haven't heard of "cross-contamination". Enough diseases going around those barns without a "vet" possibly spreading some bug from one cow to another.

Yes..."disposable" gloves are rather inexpensive...

Hope those "vets" changed syringe needles between cattle vaccinations (probably not)...lot of cheap skates out there as well as those who could care less (or) those who feel "sale barn" livestock are disposable items and "hey...it's not MY animal"!

:mad:

I've never in all my born days seen a vet change sleeves between cows at a salebarn. Come to think of if, I've never seen a cow with the clap either.

Here we go again knocking those evil sale barns.

Craig-TX

Ok youse guys...lol.

Not trying to apply people cleanliness to livestock. However, it IS possible for cattle or horses to get an infection that could cause some problems.... However, sanitation can be overdone, for sure...

;-)

Running Arrow Bill":1omtt0a1 said:
Oops! Guess sale barn "vets" haven't heard of "cross-contamination". Enough diseases going around those barns without a "vet" possibly spreading some bug from one cow to another.

Yes..."disposable" gloves are rather inexpensive...

Hope those "vets" changed syringe needles between cattle vaccinations (probably not)...lot of cheap skates out there as well as those who could care less (or) those who feel "sale barn" livestock are disposable items and "hey...it's not MY animal"!

:mad:

Bill,

i have to wonder why you put "vets" in quotes in your discussion. in our area, the salebarn "vets" are the local "vets" who spend one day/week at the sale barn bleeding cows & palpating. if you're insinuating the salebarn "vets" are any less qualified or reputable than your normal "vet", i'd say you're wrong 'cause around here they're one & the same.

Alot of the vets nowadays specialize in dogs and cats, they have to check books to tell you what's wrong with you cattle. We found a vet that interned in Montana and he very rarely worked on a dog or cat, he's the only one allowed to touch our cattle.

Latest posts