Preferred weed spray?

Help Support CattleToday:

OBAX

Reaction score
I've been spraying my pastures with Chapparel for goat weeds for a couple of years with good results. My pastures are mostly common Bermuda with various native grasses mixed in, and the Chapparel seems to be mild enough to kill the weeds without any setback on my Bermuda grass and seems to even spare my Bahia grass. It seems like this year I have more weeds starting. Possibly as a result of mild herbicide in previous years, but also maybe bringing them in in purchased hay. I would like to hear opinions on herbicides that will alleviate my weeds with little effect on my standing Bermuda grass.

Just about anything will take care of goatweed.
2,4d, crossbow, (it's 2,4d/triclopyr) Remedy Ultra, GrazonNext HL.
I've never had any of the above harm bahia or bermuda

Grazon next as mentioned would be the usual. Grazon p+d is better.
The herbicide your using chapperal is not mild by any means. I believe it's broader spectrum than grazon and has significant residual. Although not recommend for Bahia.

Last edited:
Weedmaster works for most general pasture weeds here. Combination of 2,4-D and Dicamba. Generic Weedmaster (Rangestar) is about $68 for 2.5 gallon jug.

Chapparel per the label is used to remove Pensacola bahiagrass from bermuda, but I have never used it.

Grazon next as mentioned would be the usual. Grazon p+d is better.
The herbicide your using chapperal is not mild by any means. I believe it's broader spectrum than grazon and has significant residual. Although not recommend for Bahia.
Thanks for that. I guess I assumed that since it took longer to get a kill and left several varieties alive that it was mild. That was strictly an assumption. The residual helps to keep the weeds at bay longer I guess. Does Grazon Next have any residual? What about grazing restrictions?

Thanks for that. I guess I assumed that since it took longer to get a kill and left several varieties alive that it was mild. That was strictly an assumption. The residual helps to keep the weeds at bay longer I guess. Does Grazon Next have any residual? What about grazing restrictions?
Yes it has a residual effect and there are no grazing restrictions, but it will kill clover and prevent it from coming up for about a year.

Next has a residual , not as long as p+d. My experience with next is about 3 months although the label says different. Next was created because the piclorm in p+d is federal restricted. You have to have a applicators license to use. So they made a grazon everyone could buy.
Neither has grazing restrictions but they do have hay and manure restrictions. Basically if the hay or manure changes hands you have to make the buyer aware.
This is simply because the residual can be transferred in the hay and manure to somewhere where it may not be desirable. ....... don't mulch the garden with it.

I'm with Simme. I use the Dicamba 2-4-D product Brash. Cheap and works well. I use a 1% mix with a good surfactant. I put out about 15 gallons of mix per acre. It has some residual. It does a pretty good job on milkweed which is one of my big problems.
Don't use it if there is cotton growing close by.

I've been spraying my pastures with Chapparel for goat weeds for a couple of years with good results. My pastures are mostly common Bermuda with various native grasses mixed in, and the Chapparel seems to be mild enough to kill the weeds without any setback on my Bermuda grass and seems to even spare my Bahia grass. It seems like this year I have more weeds starting. Possibly as a result of mild herbicide in previous years, but also maybe bringing them in in purchased hay. I would like to hear opinions on herbicides that will alleviate my weeds with little effect on my standing Bermuda grass.
The real question is "Why spray weeds?"
1) Spraying weeds annually becomes a habit because the weeds keep coming back
2) Most weed can not only be grazed, they are often more nutritious than your grass
3) Herbicides also affect soil biology negatively, which sets the conditions for more weeds.
4) Many weeds are pollinators which bees, butterflies and other insects need for food...which affects the birds and reptiles which also feed on those insects.

Last edited:
Because the primary invasive here is Triadica sebifera and no cow will eat Chinese Tallow or goatweed unless the cow is absolutely starving to death and there is nothing else for them and if they eat many tallow leaves, they won't have to worry about dying from starvation.
We don't all live out in West Texas.

1) Spraying weeds annually becomes a habit because the weeds keep coming back
2) Most weed can not only be grazed, they are often more nutritious than your grass
3) Herbicides also affect soil biology negatively, which sets the conditions for more weeds.
4) Many weeds are pollinators which bees, butterflies and other insects need for food...which affects the birds and reptiles which also feed on those insects.

I read an article on "onpasture" once where a lady had trained her cows to eat thistles.

Problem is they will only eat the weeds when they are young and tender. They don't stay that way very long and besides that, when the weeds are growing, so is your better grasses so the cows will eat what they prefer when there is an abundance of forage and I guarantee you what they prefer is not milkweed or thistles.

I don't use anything but 2-4-D on pasture.
Got to protect the seed bank.
So, are you saying that GrazonNext will act as a pre-emergent on grass seed also? I am not saying you are wrong. I know the old formulations would but I was not aware that was the case with the new formulation. If that is the case, there are a lot of people wasting money by spraying and then overseeding.

So, are you saying that GrazonNext will act as a pre-emergent on grass seed also? I am not saying you are wrong. I know the old formulations would but I was not aware that was the case with the new formulation. If that is the case, there are a lot of people wasting money by spraying and then overseeding.
"
https://www.domyown.com/grazonnext-hl-herbicide-questions-pq-15571.html
It is recommended that you wait until the next growing season to plant or reseed an area after treating an area with GrazonNextHL Herbicide. This is considered a vegetation management products and will kill and prevent anything from coming up for at least a year."

Secondly why do I want spend more on chemical.
Got to remember Dow DuPont is in the seed selling business as well as chemical.

I have seen pastures treated with chaparral for years and was not impressed. It may be some thing they were doing in their application bit it did nothing for any thing other than the easy to kill weeds. I can kill huisatche, mesquite, youpon, etc with with annual treatment of GNHL.

Are yall saying 24D is not restricted? I have to have an applicators license to purchase GNHL.

Latest posts