Predict The Price

Help Support CattleToday:

greenwillowherefords

Reaction score
Having never sold a Holstein before, and with a new BSE scare thrown in the mix, just for fun let's see who can most accurately predict the price that this intact calf will bring at the Tulsa Stockyards. Weight in the 400# range, four and one half months old-almost. Looks bony and poor to me, as about all Holsteins do, but the man at the yards thought I had been feeding him a lot to make him look good. (Nothing but milk and grass unless you count a tiny taste of a treat when I call them up to check on them on occasion)

He said at that age they call them steers anyway, but it's going to be pretty obvious that he's intact. I'm just hoping for anything over a dollar a pound. Hopefully I will be pleasantly surprised.

Bez":3das3ho8 said:
Around here he would bring 25 cents a pound.

Bez
:( I paid $100 for him the day he was born, and that is considered cheap in the U.S.

For those of you who don't know the story, had a heifer who lost a premature calf. It was my fault that it came premature, not hers-too long of a story to tell here at this time. This Holstein is her adopted calf. Looking at what I think the future of the market holds, I decided that now was the time to ship him. Little rascal is a lot more high-strung than my herfs tend to be too. Showed some inclination to try to butt me when cornered.

I will say you will be lucky to get 70 cents here prices are really down this week. Lots of people dumping cattle due to the drought,I saw some good lookin Limo calves(can't believe I said that) go for 93 cents this week.

Brought $1.16 per pound, but I was way off on how heavy he was. I just can't guess those dairy calves. :oops: :oops: He was the same height as my 524# butcher steer, but he was only in the 300# area.

Dang black and white things will always fool you. But at least you made a little money with heifer.