Preconditioning Programs?

Help Support CattleToday:

There are several of the salebarns in this area that have special sales for different categorys of calves.
Weaned and vaccinated, weaned, preconditioned and vaccinated, etc. Check around with the salebarns in your area and see if any of them have this kind of deal.

FYI preconditioning refers to preparing the calf to withstand the stress and rigors of leaving its mother, learning to eat new kinds of feeds, and shipment from the farm or ranch to the feedlot or stocker grower.

You can get a Calf-Health-Treatment Record from what I think is still the NCBA (national cattlemen's beef association).

So you pretty much have to fill things out like your personal info, info about the group of calves you want to sell, vaccination information, implant information, weaning/pre-conditioning info like date calf has been weaned, whether it's bunkbroke and/or water-tank trained, etc., and then of course authorization via signatures.

I know up here in AB they've got different vaccination options producers could follow according to the different illnesses present in their area, or which area is more susceptible to what diseases, things like that, and I wouldn't be surprised if it'd be the same down in the states.

Hope that helps.

I know your are to far away from this auction, but here is a link to a page that describes the preconditioned requirements, and enrollment info for one of our local barns.

http://www.sslivestockauctions.com/netbio_feeder.asp

Last month I attended this auction and noted that the calves were good quality but didn't see much of a premium for them given that they were preconditioned. I was at this auction again yesterday and definately noted a premium of probably 10% over last month. Inspite of weekly market reports stateing prices were down since last month.