Precocious Milker????

Help Support CattleToday:

taulmaril

Reaction score
I just bought a 2 year old heifer (jersey). She's never been bred before but she already has a pretty large bag. We tried milking her last night to see if there was anything in it and she does have some milk. We've never heard of anything like this before and our vets advice was to "sell her" If anyone knows anything about this we would appreciate hearing about it. Before we bought her she was kept with a jersey cow. She hasn't been around other calves or bulls. Thanks

I have seen precosious milkers, but they've never milked much or with any presistence.
Are you sure she didn't calve, or abort?

dun

She's never been with a bull, since birth she's been kept on a small farm with one older cow. Can you tell me more about this precocious milking? I haven't been able to find much about it on the internet. Do we need to do anything if this is her problem? Thanks

It's just something that happens sometimes. If she bags real tight you can relief some of the pressure, otherwise just leave it alone. She'll quit making milk eventually. I've never read anything about, I've just seen it a number of times.
Your local vet probably knows more about it. It's been 30 years since I last saw it

dun

Hi thanks for the help. Unfortunately our vet told us to sell her, which we aren't going to do. She is a very sweet heifer and around here finding a nice gentle jersey heifer in rare or at least very expensive. Are there any downsides to a heifer with this condition? We are planning on breeding (AI) her the next time she comes in heat which will be in a few days. The Vet said to definately not milk her because that could cause mastitis. Thanks again I feel better about her already :)

taulmaril":1jbtyawi said:
Hi thanks for the help. Unfortunately our vet told us to sell her, which we aren't going to do. She is a very sweet heifer and around here finding a nice gentle jersey heifer in rare or at least very expensive. Are there any downsides to a heifer with this condition? We are planning on breeding (AI) her the next time she comes in heat which will be in a few days. The Vet said to definately not milk her because that could cause mastitis. Thanks again I feel better about her already :)

If you do milk her you need to treat her just as you would any cow that is milked. A dry off treatment when you dry her off. We were in a very dry environment so mastitis was never a real problem.
Listen to your vet.

dun