Preaching to the congregation

Help Support CattleToday:

My church is Presbyterian and the pulpit is purely a left wing platform. We're eat up with apostasy too.

Not uncommon for a church to have a communion table. Chiseled in the communion table often are the words "This do in remembrance of me". Easy enough to see what that inscription references

200 years ago, every pulpit had etched in it, at the top, facing the minister the words "We're her to see Jesus". That is a little more obscure bible reference.......The point is, the preacher needs to NEVER forget why the congregation gathered. There is absolutley nothing politcal and almost nothing personal that needs shared from the pulpit. I won't even tell a joke. What we gather for on Sunday morning is not a laughing matter.

The Church is not a denomination or a building. The Church is the people who actively worship and obey the Word
in whatever form or matter that may be required. A group of people all facing the same direction with most waiting
for someone to finish speaking is not Church it is a meeting! Religious ?, maybe Scriptural?, probably not.....

A church is made up of the believers, the head of the Church is Christ. The building itself is the place where people gather together for corporate worship. Hebrews 10:25 Not forsaking the assembling of ourselves together, as the manner of some is; but exhorting one another: and so much the more , as ye see the day approaching.
There are no doubt a lot of differing views on how a corporate worship service should be held. Lots of disputes and splits have happened over the directions of a church. As the term worship service implies, the service should be centered around God, and not around pleasing ourselves with what we want to hear message and music wise. The service should be about glorifying God, and hearing his word so that we can apply it in our daily lives. There is just something special about hearing a congregation singing hymns of praise to God. Coming together and sharing prayer concerns even sometimes unspoken ones as a congregation is important to believers. It can be such a blessing to be amongst a loving congregation when it is centered around God.
It's easy to get off track, and being plugged into a church as our Pastor refers to it, is a good way to be encouraged and to encourage others when difficult times come.

I won't even tell a joke. What we gather for on Sunday morning is not a laughing matter.
I agree. Our pastors aren't joke-tellers either. On a rare occasion when I have visited a church where the preacher tried to be a comedian, it wasn't my cup of tea.

My pastor definitely preaches the gospel. He will joke a little. Not as in telling a joke. More like poking fun at himself or someone else. That is as he is starting out. Once he is seriously preaching he never goes off the rails. It is seriously quoting scripture, praying, and preaching. They encourage testimonial from the congregation. I believe that can be very encouraging for the other people in the seats. Not just sitting listening to the same man every week. But to hear how God is working in the lives of other people.

When we first attended at our church we got to know a couple we sat by. He led a mid week Bible study. He thought there should be a choir. And he wanted more of the older hymns. About 18 months ago (about when covid hit) they disappeared. We haven't heard or seen of them since. They probably found a church that worshipped in the manner which he wanted.

nothing political and almost nothing personal that needs shared from the pulpit.
I do struggle with that. I wish I could agree. I actually think it will be the downfall of Christian influence in society.

I am not saying you are wrong. I might well be. I am not arguing with you.

I will also say that some politicians call themselves Reverend.

When I was just about 10 or 12 years old......or about 40 some odd years ago, the pastor who had been there for a few years felt it was time for him to leave and it was all on good terms btw. To make a long story short the church called a man from out of town to be their pastor and almost every Sunday morning when he got up to preach he would say " Now you women cross your legs and close the gates of hell"......true story, no joke and he wasn't joking.
Never heard anything like that said since and don't want to.

I do struggle with that. I wish I could agree. I actually think it will be the downfall of Christian influence in society.

Variety is the spice of life.

That's the Johnson amendment it didn't line up well with LBJ's plans for the Democratic Party.

Latest posts