Pre show hair prep

Help Support CattleToday:

showmomof2

Reaction score
As you all know, we are new at showing. What are some of the products you use on your calves hair before a show and during the hair growing phase?

After I wash my heifer I add revive its a spray on coditioner I know their are lots of products that help stimulate hair growth such as feed, soaps, and other intersting products if thats what your looking into I just have no expericance with them yet

Revive is probably too heavy to use in the summer. We were using Mane and Tail and now switched to Sauve. It's a lighter conditioner and they both soften the hair. When they are dry from their rinse/wash we spray in Proclaim, a hair product we get at Sally Beauty Supply, it's an oil spray Black and Hispanic women use and it really works great on our calves. You can't spray in too much and it doesn't have to be rinsed out. It is also a lot cheaper than Sullivan's etc. stuff.

We use a rotobrush on the legs especially but also down the back to get the hair to pop. Be careful to hold the tail away from it.

Get the calves under a couple butt fans too.

I use daily sheen mixed with rag oil and absorbine once a week a month before the show as the show gets closer I use it maybe every other day. It depends on the hair and how easily the hair stays where it belongs. I rinse them as often as possible and brush them afterward. In the summer I let them air dry.

For daily hair care, we rinse them 2-3 times a day. Rinse in the direction you want the hair to grow when you are first starting (which should be toward the head for the first stage, at a 45 degree angle for the second stage, and finally upwards for the last stage). Brush them with a good rice root brush and comb in the direction you want the hair. It's best to let them air dry. Put them under some fans or in a cooler room to keep them as cool as possible. And after you rinse, spray some Kleen Sheen on them and comb and blow that in. I also use Revive but it's getting hard since we have humid, 90 degree days here.

For show day preperation, you just basically start with some foam, if you have stubborn hair on the steer (it'll help it set more). If you don't use the foam, or even if you do, spray in some Zoom Bloom and comb and blow that in real good so the hair will pop for you. Then before you go into the show ring, spray some Pink Oil on and blow that for about 15 minutes. That stuff will really give the hair a good pop.

For the legs, start with Prime Time or EZ Comb adhesive, or even Tail Adhesive if the hair is really stubborn. Comb the hair up. If it's allowed, spray some Ultra White touch up on the steers (if they're black) then cover it with Black Finisher. Do a couple of coats of that and get the hair to look like you want it. And on the tail head, spray in some Tail Adhesive, comb it how you want it, hit it with some Black Finisher (after you clip it up), and you should be down.

I think I got about everything. :lol:

Best Wishes,
-Angus Girl

One other thing I just remembered is the night before the show, spray down their bodies with Revive (not legs or tail head), comb it in, and blow it in really good. When you wash them show day, it'll make their hair look nicer and it'll also give it a good pop.

-Angus Girl

ACG - sounds like you about have it covered.

Daily Routine - We use volumizing conitioner after washing. Brush and Blow. Kleen Sheen. Fans.

all i do is train it with a curry comb and then before show i wash, blow, put in final bloom and thats it. really fancy i know...

my daughter has a chimaine heifer with really curly hair. We are rinsing twice daily, blowing once a day and we blow in the green stuff (I can't remember the name) that we mix with water and fog it in then blow it in. That is of course after the brushing and brushing and brushing. The hair on the tail head is so curly it won't stand up. She has a lot of it though. More than the steer.

Misty":mzir5gv2 said:
my daughter has a chimaine heifer with really curly hair. We are rinsing twice daily, blowing once a day and we blow in the green stuff (I can't remember the name) that we mix with water and fog it in then blow it in. That is of course after the brushing and brushing and brushing. The hair on the tail head is so curly it won't stand up. She has a lot of it though. More than the steer.
Hair set. we use it i mix it with fly spray and kleen sheen

Misty":1b7ns446 said:
Try brushing the hair first straight down and then forward. Then spray on some Downy. Then blow hair forward. If you do this every time it'll straighten out the hair. We have a curly one this year, and this worked very well.

Latest posts