Pre-fabbing Steel Corner Posts/Braces

Help Support CattleToday:

JHALL

Reaction score
Hi all, I'm new here and will be replacing an old fence at my wife's grandparents place to keep in cattle. I haven't put up a fence before but have done some reading/asking around and have a firm grasp on what I want to do.

I'll be going with a 5 strand barbed wire fence using steel posts for the corners (4.5" and 3.5" for brace posts), t-posts and hedge posts for the line. Going to be putting the corners/brace posts approx four feet deep set in concrete with four spreader bars in between the corner and brace posts.

My question is this. Can I prefab (build and weld) the corners/braces, haul them to the pasture, dig my holes and set them in the ground as a complete unit? Is there any difference in overall strength versus putting your corners and braces up, then welding your spreaders in in the field? The pasture is right out front of their house so it'll be easy getting them there.

Thank you for your time! Looking forward to checking out the board.

I can't see where there'd be any strength difference. You'll have to make sure you drill the holes correctly for the prefab, where the other way you could set the posts and then cut the cross pieces to fit, but that's the only possible drawback I can think of.

I don't like it . The horizontal brace should run on the same plane as the wire. Which is the same plane as the ground. Unless the ground is level your not going to accomplish this.
Believe me. I wish it worked well.

Brute 23":190w0oov said:
When I have seen it done they drive tposts on each end to tie the wire off to so they have a straight line.

What do you mean exactly?

Thanks

JHALL":2dh1xkjh said:
Brute 23":2dh1xkjh said:
When I have seen it done they drive tposts on each end to tie the wire off to so they have a straight line.

Thanks

Usually when you build fence you set 1 corner in one end, then you go to the opposite end, or the next H brace and set 1 more corner post.

Then you tie a wire off on each end to those corners and try to get your wire as straight as possible.

You use the straight line of that wire to set your next corner posts and all your line post.

When you have pre-fabbed H braces, if you don't have a straight line before you set the H brace, you will most likely be out of square with your fence. The H braces will have a twist and eventually pull completely around.

It's just like setting up string lines to square things up.

When things started booming in the Eagle Ford we were laying a lot of pipelines and roads. I would have to threaten to run fence builders off because they would want to argue about how to do things.

One example was pre-made H braces. There were a lot of benefits to it. I would tell the fence builders if we were parting a fence for a cattle guard and road to set their H braces before they even cut the fence, or at least leave a bottom wire. They would go thru there spill of how much fence they built, blah, blah, blah. I would give them one shot but I told them if it's jacked up they would fix it on their dime.

Sure enough, the cattle guard and braces would all be perfectly straight but most of the time it was not perfectly straight with the existing fence. It woukd have a slight zig-zag.

When doing pipeline row the construction gaps are a lot larger than the final gates. I would tell them when we were done they need to splice one wire back from one side to the other to get the straight line to mount the gate.

Finally after them re-doing a few on their dime they came around. They still pouted the first couple times but they finally got it right.

Brute 23":1vkvi481 said:
When things started booming in the Eagle Ford we were laying a lot of pipelines and roads. I would have to threaten to run fence builders off because they would want to argue about how to do things.

One example was pre-made H braces. There were a lot of benefits to it. I would tell the fence builders if we were parting a fence for a cattle guard and road to set their H braces before they even cut the fence, or at least leave a bottom wire. They would go thru there spill of how much fence they built, blah, blah, blah. I would give them one shot but I told them if it's jacked up they would fix it on their dime.

Sure enough, the cattle guard and braces would all be perfectly straight but most of the time it was not perfectly straight with the existing fence. It woukd have a slight zig-zag.

When doing pipeline row the construction gaps are a lot larger than the final gates. I would tell them when we were done they need to splice one wire back from one side to the other to get the straight line to mount the gate.

Finally after them re-doing a few on their dime they came around. They still pouted the first couple times but they finally got it right.

I would have told your soft company azz to hump a stump...no doubt about it. :D

callmefence":31s4kp61 said:
Brute 23":31s4kp61 said:

I would have told your soft company azz to hump a stump...no doubt about it. :D

You know where that would have gotten you too. :)

It's not their fault... They are use to dealing with a lot of finger pointers. On the first one I made them do my way I was out there splicing wire, setting posts, and hanging gates. They have a different attitude when they see you know how to, and are willing to do it also. Same thing with WOR hands. You jump up on the floor and start tripping pipe and they will change their tone... the good ones at least.

No one like people just telling them what to do and not be willing to do it themselves.

;-) Had a construction superintendent on fort Hood army reservation that thought he was smart and tough. Wanted to have his surveyor spot every post.
I told him that's just fine, call me when he's done. My boys are going to work. And I walked.
He comes waddling down the steps of his trailer yelling you leave and I'll have another contractor here in the morning. Thanks for the heads up I say, I'll pack my steel...and I did.
We left his job and went to the next one.
His boss calls a couple of days later. I made them wait until I finished the other job and charged a impact fee of 500.00.
Stupid fat bastard had to eat crow.
I bet he thought pt was overtime. ;-) :D

Business 101..you never ever let someone else tell you how to do your business.. especially the customer.

Brute 23":1ss5nlmn said:
JHALL":1ss5nlmn said:
Brute 23":1ss5nlmn said:

Thanks

Usually when you build fence you set 1 corner in one end, then you go to the opposite end, or the next H brace and set 1 more corner post.

Then you tie a wire off on each end to those corners and try to get your wire as straight as possible.

You use the straight line of that wire to set your next corner posts and all your line post.

When you have pre-fabbed H braces, if you don't have a straight line before you set the H brace, you will most likely be out of square with your fence. The H braces will have a twist and eventually pull completely around.

I got ya. Drive your t-posts in at your corners before setting any of the H braces to ensure you're in line.

There's on corner that triangles and comes back to the house. Any pointers on getting that as close as I can to where it needs to be? I suppose I can set the t-posts and run the line, take some measurements as best I can and build accordingly. Any easier methods?

JHALL":xmhexbm2 said:
Brute 23":xmhexbm2 said:
JHALL":xmhexbm2 said:

Thanks

I got ya. Drive your t-posts in at your corners before setting any of the H braces to ensure you're in line.

There's on corner that triangles and comes back to the house. Any pointers on getting that as close as I can to where it needs to be? I suppose I can set the t-posts and run the line, take some measurements as best I can and build accordingly. Any easier methods?

As was instructed by the man that builds more pipe braces in a month than the rest of the forum combined in a year......Don't pre fab your braces. Set your corners, pull a line, set your brace posts and stubbys, weld the struts in. That is the easy way. How do I know this? Because Fence taught me how to build a pipe brace, and I've tried every way I can think of to make it faster and easier. I have not been successful in a couple hundred attempts.

I do not personally build fence with pre-made Hs and would not suggest to some one else to do it that way. We have done it at work and it turned out fine, but again, that's not how I would personally build fence.

Just because some one does some thing for a living does not mean they do it right. I see it every day. ;-) I may not build fence or work or a rig or doze brush for a living but I make contracts, hire, and sign the tickets for hundreds of contractors. I can tell you 99% of the time who is going to be a problem just by their attitude, body language, and how they talk about doing what they do. :tiphat:

JHALL":4z193qf9 said:
Brute 23":4z193qf9 said:
JHALL":4z193qf9 said:

Thanks

Hall brute tried to give you some good advice, but as usual his inexperience glares.

If you must use a prefab h.
Don't drive your temporary tpost on your corner. You'll just have to pull it up to dig your hole and have to replace it to set your h in line. Drive your tpost a few feet back off the corner but in line and you can use the line for the whole fence.
Work smarter not harder.

callmefence":3v17v9po said:
JHALL":3v17v9po said:
Brute 23":3v17v9po said:

Hall brute tried to give you some good advice, but as usual his inexperience glares.

If you must use a prefab h.
Don't drive your temporary tpost on your corner. You'll just have to pull it up to dig your hole and have to replace it to set your h in line. Drive your tpost a few feet back off the corner but in line and you can use the line for the whole fence.
Work smarter not harder.

Re-read what I typed. I never said to use temp tposts where the corners go. I said use temp posts on the ends, like a string line, to get straight. That's the exact same thing you just said. You never stop your string line on the exact end, you always run past it.

Brute 23":3fvq17ei said:

You said on each end...not past each end. I said past each end , then you said that you said past each end but in reality you said.ON EACH END.

I can always tell the guys that spew bs for a living.... :D

callmefence":4xlk751h said:
Brute 23":4xlk751h said:

You said on each end...not past each end. I said past each end , then you said that you said past each end but in reality you said.ON EACH END.

End of the string line... not end of the fence.

... and the guys that don't listen... always argue with you... tell you how long they have been doing it... and are more concerned with your age then what your saying.

Brute 23":3ceef2mn said:
callmefence":3ceef2mn said:
Brute 23":3ceef2mn said:

End of the string line... not end of the fence.

... and the guys that don't listen... always argue with you... tell you how long they have been doing it... and are more concerned with your age then what your saying.

Get outta the way boy and let the men work and it'll get done. Go get a cheeseburger or something

Latest posts