Praying

Help Support CattleToday:

HerefordSire

Reaction score
I noticed a couple of items of members asking for prayers from members on this message board.

(1) Does anyone notice an increase of activity of prayer requests lately?

(2) Is there more power when two or more pray together at a set time than many at different times?

HerefordSire":2lxf33uw said:
I noticed a couple of items of members asking for prayers from members on this message board.

Yep
HerefordSire":2lxf33uw said:

(2) Is there more power when two or more pray together at a set time than many at different times?
Nope, power of prayer is the same.

Matthew 6:6
But when you pray, go into your room, close the door and pray to your Father, who is unseen. Then your Father, who sees what is done in secret, will reward you.

1982vett":1gmbl15k said:
HerefordSire":1gmbl15k said:

Yep
HerefordSire":1gmbl15k said:

Nope, power of prayer is the same.

Matthew 6:6
But when you pray, go into your room, close the door and pray to your Father, who is unseen. Then your Father, who sees what is done in secret, will reward you.

Do members that join prayer requests follow Matthew 6.6?

alacattleman":2vu4vnfp said:
the Lord said,,, where 2 or more are gathered in my name there will "I " be also

That was my thinking. Maybe arrange a specific time just to see what happens instead of many praying at different times?

alacattleman":3dyzmajn said:
it aint always possible ,,,folks can be together in the same mind and spirit of prayer but not the same time..

So if I pray for your loved one on a Monday and you pray for your loved one on a Tuesday, it has the same affect as both of us praying at the same time? Is time only in the non-spiritual world? What do the scriptures say?

HerefordSire":2miipqbg said:
Is time only in the non-spiritual world? What do the scriptures say?[/i]

For a thousand years in thy sight are but as yesterday when it is past, and as a watch in the night.--Psalm 90:4

But, beloved, be not ignorant of this one thing, that one day is with the Lord as a thousand years, and a thousand years as one day.--2 Peter 3:8

No, I'm not this smart in quotins scripture. Yahoo Search is the smart one there. I just have to get close in what I ask for. ;-)

HerefordSire":6tws5i40 said:
alacattleman":6tws5i40 said:
it aint always possible ,,,folks can be together in the same mind and spirit of prayer but not the same time..

So if I pray for your loved one on a Monday and you pray for your loved one on a Tuesday, it has the same affect as both of us praying at the same time? Is time only in the non-spiritual world? What do the scriptures say?

HS God hears all prayer. He answers those that he choses to answer. Scripture teaches us to pray at all times. Leave the rest to God. He wants our obedience only. Run the race....no mention made of "having to win it".

As for time, I personally don't see how time would have any relevance in the spiritual world. God being the beginning and the end is neither concerned with nor confined by man's definition and understanding of time.

1982vett":1s1e1bel said:
HerefordSire":1s1e1bel said:
Is time only in the non-spiritual world? What do the scriptures say?[/i]

For a thousand years in thy sight are but as yesterday when it is past, and as a watch in the night.--Psalm 90:4

But, beloved, be not ignorant of this one thing, that one day is with the Lord as a thousand years, and a thousand years as one day.--2 Peter 3:8

No, I'm not this smart in quotins scripture. Yahoo Search is the smart one there. I just have to get close in what I ask for. ;-)

I think that covers the time issue. If I understand this correctly, we live in time in another dimension, such as four dimensions. In other words, width, height, length, and time.....and we are praying into unknown dimensions. Therefore, it shouldn't matter if we pray at different times about the same subject, for example. However, why does at least one scripture say to gather to pray? It sounds like to me there is extra power involved. Am I incorrect?

HerefordSire":jvak1uqr said:
However, why does at least one scripture say to gather to pray? It sounds like to me there is extra power involved. Am I incorrect?[/i]
I think you are refering to this.

alacattleman":jvak1uqr said:
the Lord said,,, where 2 or more are gathered in my name there will "I " be also

I think this refers more to gathering together of people to worship, of which of course prayer is a part of worship.

Where 2 or more are gathered, he will be their also.

This reminds me of a story told about a former pastor of our church and happens to be the pastor that Christened me as a baby. Our church always had Sunday morning worship and Sunday evening worship. It happens that this particular Sunday evening that the weather was really bad. This being a country church and many of the roads folks lived on back then weren't easily traveled in such weather. The parsonage is just a few hundred feet from the church and when time came for church to start he told his wife to stay but he was going over in case anyone showed up. Of course the empty parking lot was in clear view of the house so after a while his wife became concerned as to why he wasn't coming back. So she got geared up and went over to check on him. She found him at the pulpit preaching to an empty church. When she asked what he was doing he replied that: This church holds church services on Sunday evenings and it is Sunday evening, I'm holding church.

Rather profound faith this man had.

TexasBred":1sa5sbpm said:
HerefordSire":1sa5sbpm said:
alacattleman":1sa5sbpm said:

HS God hears all prayer. He answers those that he choses to answer. Scripture teaches us to pray at all times. Leave the rest to God. He wants our obedience only. Run the race....no mention made of "having to win it".

As for time, I personally don't see how time would have any relevance in the spiritual world. God being the beginning and the end is neither concerned with nor confined by man's definition and understanding of time.

Another good post! It is very easy to see when members like yourself are wise in the spirit, so to speak. Like a conduit.

If the time dimension is irrelvant, are space dimensions also irrelevant?

1982vett":31xauoid said:
HerefordSire":31xauoid said:
However, why does at least one scripture say to gather to pray? It sounds like to me there is extra power involved. Am I incorrect?[/i]
I think you are refering to this.

alacattleman":31xauoid said:

I think this refers more to gathering together of people to worship, of which of course prayer is a part of worship.

Where 2 or more are gathered, he will be their also.

This reminds me of a story told about a former pastor of our church and happens to be the pastor that Christened me as a baby. Our church always had Sunday morning worship and Sunday evening worship. It happens that this particular Sunday evening that the weather was really bad. This being a country church and many of the roads folks lived on back then weren't easily traveled in such weather. The parsonage is just a few hundred feet from the church and when time came for church to start he told his wife to stay but he was going over in case anyone showed up. Of course the empty parking lot was in clear view of the house so after a while his wife became concerned as to why he wasn't coming back. So she got geared up and went over to check on him. She found him at the pulpit preaching to an empty church. When she asked what he was doing he replied that: This church holds church services on Sunday evenings and it is Sunday evening, I'm holding church.

Rather profound faith this man had.

Good story!

I think there is another scripture I am referring to. One having to do with two people praying together at the same time, not with the word gathering. I could be mistaken though. Any help?

Why does everything have to have an answer, and be analyzed.... some things don't have answers they just are and spiritual things comes into that category. If I pray it may be at a different time to you as I am at another time zone, but my prayer is just as important and there is something in mass prayer not necessarily together but for the same thing. Don't be so pedantic and picky all the time. God knows the answers and that is all that matters in the end.
Live simply.
Love generously.
Care deeply.
Speak kindly.
Leave the rest to God.

Reminds me of some people that are unemployed so they pray asking for a job. Please bring me a job, I will do anything. The person never gets a job. You know why not? Because they never put one foot in front of the other and looked for a job. Some times praying is only a part of the equation.

HerefordSire":2r365sox said:
Reminds me of some people that are unemployed so they pray asking for a job. Please bring me a job, I will do anything. The person never gets a job. You know why not? Because they never put one foot in front of the other and looked for a job. Some times praying is only a part of the equation.
That is an entirely different situation to what we are talking about. Jobs are something you have to put yourself out for, and go looking.

HerefordSire":1k5djjxy said:
Some call this the law of corresponding action. Of course it has to be looked at in view of the circumstances at the time.
A lot (most?) prayers are not answered because there is no real faith or the faith is not strong enough. And that is a whole n'uther subject.

Also there may be hindrances to prayer.
As far as group or corporate prayer--believers can bolster one anothers faith. Doubters have the opposite effect.
Just MHO based on teaching from others as well as experience and observation.

Latest posts