Praying for Hay- Not Hail

Help Support CattleToday:

Oldtimer

Reaction score
My day started at 5:30AM with the weather alert announcing a severe storm warning...Most of it went north of me- with quarter size hail- and an inch of rain in areas...I was on the edge and only got scattered thunder showers all morning- just enough to keep the ground wet....

Went out to check the hayfields- too wet to cut yet, but about ready to go...Hay actually looks nicer than last year when we got totally hailed out
:(

Grass/alfalfa field- alfalfa is over 3' tall- and grass is over 5' tall in areas :D
hay06-26-08001.jpg

hay06-26-08002.jpg

This is a "younger field" with lots more alfalfa in it...
hay06-26-08001-1.jpg

hay06-26-08003.jpg

And it looks like this all the way to the hills in the background...
Praying for No Hail.....

ALACOWMAN":24og83qe said:
how many acres are we looking at OT?

The one field is 22 acres- and the newer stuff is 40 acres....All together there is about 240 acres of hay that I have and they join in to about the same amount of my cousins that is all hayed together....

This was irrigated about the 20th of May and then starting about the 27th of May we've had about an inch or so of rain each week :D This stuff is about 2 weeks behind last year because of the cool temps we had- which I think really helped the grass ....

Oldtimer":215qiuj9 said:
ALACOWMAN":215qiuj9 said:
how many acres are we looking at OT?

The one field is 22 acres- and the newer stuff is 40 acres....All together there is about 240 acres of hay that I have and they join in to about the same amount of my cousins that is all hayed together....

This was irrigated about the 20th of May and then starting about the 27th of May we've had about an inch or so of rain each week :D This stuff is about 2 weeks behind last year because of the cool temps we had- which I think really helped the grass ....

Jogge, looks like the keyword is irrigate. Guess we might have to figure out a way to do that too.

Hope it works out good for you! I feel for you with no rain. That was how we were in 2006, but this year, we are in much better shape.

For the first time since I have had cows, my grass is growing faster than they can eat it. Lots of slick rear ends. :D

your hay sure looks nice an thick.an it is ready tobe cut an baled.if the 240acs is all like that its gonna make alot of hay.

OT, I have noticed on the accu weather radar you folks been getting some rain so far. Nice hay crop you got.

mnmtranching":3nnj94ty said:
OT, I have noticed on the accu weather radar you folks been getting some rain so far. Nice hay crop you got.

Yep- ol Ma Nature has been pretty good to us so far-- as long as she holds off with that White Reaper for awhile we could have some good hay and wheat crops up here this year...Some of the wheat is headed out- and be ready to cut in about a month...Mines a little later- but starting to shoot heads...

Accuweather is showing a week or two of normal 4th of July weather (around 90) and dry so it may be perfect for getting the hay cut...

The weather here in Wisconsin is really weird this year. This winter we got a total of 85 inches of snow (usually 30), and 15 inches of rain in 2 weeks, now it is too try in some spots because the rain pounded the ground like a rock, today we got about 1/2 inch in 2 hours :D hope it keeps raining like this once a week!!