Powerflex Fiberglass Post

Help Support CattleToday:

I use 1/2 inch rebar for fence posts. $6.99 for 20 feet = 4 fence posts five feet long. That figures out to $1.40 per post. They last for ever, you will not get glass slivers like you do with older glass posts and the ribs in the rebar will hold insulators from sliding.
I paint mine with cheap spray paint a $1.50 can will do about 20 posts, that's 7.5 cents per post.
Kencove sells a really nice Rod Post Claw Insulator for $7.95 for 50, thats $0.16 cents each.

Total post cost for three strand post painted and with insulators is $1.64 and they last for ever.

I live in an area loaded with moose and deer and have fence running through woods in the back side of the farm. Nothing goes through my fences. The trick there is my stayfix M20R charger with remote and eight ground rods. That thing with jump a spark about an inch to a wet nose.

Richardin52":2p4jbzap said:
I use 1/2 inch rebar for fence posts. $6.99 for 20 feet = 4 fence posts five feet long. That figures out to $1.40 per post. They last for ever, you will not get glass slivers like you do with older glass posts and the ribs in the rebar will hold insulators from sliding.
I paint mine with cheap spray paint a $1.50 can will do about 20 posts, that's 7.5 cents per post.
Kencove sells a really nice Rod Post Claw Insulator for $7.95 for 50, thats $0.16 cents each.

Total post cost for three strand post painted and with insulators is $1.64 and they last for ever.

I live in an area loaded with moose and deer and have fence running through woods in the back side of the farm. Nothing goes through my fences. The trick there is my stayfix M20R charger with remote and eight ground rods. That thing with jump a spark about an inch to a wet nose.

We have started using 1/2" rebar also, except my dad welds a little 'h' brace on the bottom to help them stand straight. He built a little jig and uses 3/8 rebar for the 'h'. I have only used them for electric fence, the nice thing is they are a foot taller than the standard electric fence posts and twice as strong.

Caustic Burno":1581prk0 said:
greybeard":1581prk0 said:
Wood is $5.49 for 6.5' x 2 1/2" to 3"
Pretty small for wood line posts. In 2007, steel was thru the roof price wise, it was a good dry year here and there were just no 3-4 or 4-5 inch tops posts available, so I settled for the 2 1/2" X 3" tops. Most are still standing, but in dry season, a cow just pushing or brushing against it will break one off at the ground ocassionally. I replace them with steel T posts as they break.
I haven't used any of the composite or fiberglass posts asked about in the rest of this thread, but I did get a good deal on a few "rubber" cross ties a couple years ago. Good lawd them things are HEAVY. They last forever, but I don't want any more.

Where did you find rubber crossties.

Astroworld. I got about 100 of the ties that were on the narrow gauge train track that ran around the park and there were some rubber ties in with them. Bad thing was, all those ties still had the spikes and steel thingies that hold the track to the tie--But I also have the big crowbar looking spike puller, so it isn't too bad.

Scrap iron place guy gives me a funny look tho when I haul off my scrap iron...

I looked at the Fiberglass posts on that website and I didnt see any mention of UV protection --- and without it you are going to be unhappy with the results in a few years --

After shipping to Western, MD the traditional 4"x8' was almost a dollar cheaper than both the PasturePro and the PowerFlex posts. So I found posts at Lowes for $6.99, treated and everything :cboy:

Latest posts