Powerflex Fiberglass Post

Help Support CattleToday:

HDRider

Reaction score
I asked about Kencove composite fence posts on an earlier thread. Most folks did not like them.

What about Powerflex fiberglass post?

http://www.powerflexfenceonline.com/pro ... fr1255.htm

How long have you had them in the ground?

Better than metal t-posts? Why? How so?

The fiberglass are 5' and costs $4.89 per.
Metal t-posts are $5.49 for 6 footers.
Wood is $5.49 for 6.5' x 2 1/2" to 3" (which I don't really equate to either the metal or fiberglass.)

What do you think? I ain't looking for the cheapest. I am looking for the best. I gotta buy a bunch of them and I want them to last.

HDRider":1i1vkwfz said:
I asked about Kencove composite fence posts on an earlier thread. Most folks did not like them.

What about Powerflex fiberglass post?

http://www.powerflexfenceonline.com/pro ... fr1255.htm

How long have you had them in the ground?

Better than metal t-posts? Why? How so?

The fiberglass are 5' and costs $4.89 per.
Metal t-posts are $5.49 for 6 footers.
Wood is $5.49 for 6.5' x 2 1/2" to 3" (which I don't really equate to either the metal or fiberglass.)

What do you think? I ain't looking for the cheapest. I am looking for the best. I gotta buy a bunch of them and I want them to last.
They look good to me but I have never used them. I can buy 5' Red Brand T posts for 4.95 a piece. I find the 5footers are just as good as 6 for one strand HT. Would yu have to drill the Fglass posts?

Banjo, I do think you would need to drill them. I am wanting something to do a four strand HT electric with 12 gauge.

Definitely go with fiberglass. You do have to drill them but will last forever and will not short out like metal. They are very tough, almost not breakable.

CJohnson":2m9s5jy3 said:
Definitely go with fiberglass. You do have to drill them but will last forever and will not short out like metal. They are very tough, almost not breakable.

Thanks CJ. So they would be good to use in a permanent perimeter fence??

At a recent grazing school I attended the NRCS guy recommended PasturePro Fence posts. He said he has had very good luck with them. I couldn't get the other website to open but I would guess they are similar.

J&D Cattle":3fga2e5m said:
At a recent grazing school I attended the NRCS guy recommended PasturePro Fence posts. He said he has had very good luck with them. I couldn't get the other website to open but I would guess they are similar.

J,
I think the PasturePro posts are similar to the Kencove posts.

From the PasturePro website -
Wait, these aren't made of fiberglass? Nope. PasturePro line posts are made with a patented process that uses polypropylene and wood, along with a small percentage of process additives such as pigments and UV inhibitors.

http://www.pasturepro.com/line-posts.html

HDRider":1ixd1j9o said:
J&D Cattle":1ixd1j9o said:

J,
I think the PasturePro posts are similar to the Kencove posts.

From the PasturePro website -
Wait, these aren't made of fiberglass? Nope. PasturePro line posts are made with a patented process that uses polypropylene and wood, along with a small percentage of process additives such as pigments and UV inhibitors.

http://www.pasturepro.com/line-posts.html

Wonder if they would hold up as good, better, or worse than fiberglass? The haybale test is pretty neat to watch. My metal rebar posts would be laid over permenately.

We put some fiberglass posts in two years ago now. I do not remember the brand, but they do work good at holding the ht wires apart. We found they will bend easily under snow and wind load.

J&D Cattle":28jhdo4l said:

If NRCS recommended it that means it is twice as expensive than some other perfectly good functioning method. Maybe three times more expensive.

Dave":3g4cp1sd said:
J&D Cattle":3g4cp1sd said:

If NRCS recommended it that means it is twice as expensive than some other perfectly good functioning method. Maybe three times more expensive.

After looking at the chargers specifically and other items they recommended I would agree. I'm sure they're all good products but I found I could be thriftier and accomplish the same thing.

The posts I bought I guess are a composite, I bought them from an individual and really love them. They are smooth on the outside, don't shatter easy like pure fiberglass. Can't hardly bend them. I even occasionally use them for temporary fencing if I run out of step-in posts for some reason. I personally would not use a pure electric fence as a perimeter. I prefer 5 strand barbwire with a hot wire offset. That is another discussion and would have lots of opinions on it, but if you were going to use electric as perimeter, I think it would be fine. Best advantage is they will not short out and you don't have to worry with spacers / insulators.

CJohnson":2cta1s68 said:
The posts I bought I guess are a composite, I bought them from an individual and really love them. They are smooth on the outside, don't shatter easy like pure fiberglass. Can't hardly bend them. I even occasionally use them for temporary fencing if I run out of step-in posts for some reason. I personally would not use a pure electric fence as a perimeter. I prefer 5 strand barbwire with a hot wire offset. That is another discussion and would have lots of opinions on it, but if you were going to use electric as perimeter, I think it would be fine. Best advantage is they will not short out and you don't have to worry with spacers / insulators.

Thanks CJ - Reading Greg Judy's book, he talks up a composite that PowerFlex sold, but they appear to have discontinued it. He liked them too.

I went to Greg's grazing school and bought these posts from him. Not sure if he is still selling them but they were cheaper than internet sites I looked at when I bought them (2 years ago). He has a website, you might want to try to contact him and see.

Wood is $5.49 for 6.5' x 2 1/2" to 3"
Pretty small for wood line posts. In 2007, steel was thru the roof price wise, it was a good dry year here and there were just no 3-4 or 4-5 inch tops posts available, so I settled for the 2 1/2" X 3" tops. Most are still standing, but in dry season, a cow just pushing or brushing against it will break one off at the ground ocassionally. I replace them with steel T posts as they break.
I haven't used any of the composite or fiberglass posts asked about in the rest of this thread, but I did get a good deal on a few "rubber" cross ties a couple years ago. Good lawd them things are HEAVY. They last forever, but I don't want any more.

greybeard":22xzicml said:
Wood is $5.49 for 6.5' x 2 1/2" to 3"
Pretty small for wood line posts. In 2007, steel was thru the roof price wise, it was a good dry year here and there were just no 3-4 or 4-5 inch tops posts available, so I settled for the 2 1/2" X 3" tops. Most are still standing, but in dry season, a cow just pushing or brushing against it will break one off at the ground ocassionally. I replace them with steel T posts as they break.
I haven't used any of the composite or fiberglass posts asked about in the rest of this thread, but I did get a good deal on a few "rubber" cross ties a couple years ago. Good lawd them things are HEAVY. They last forever, but I don't want any more.

Where did you find rubber crossties.

Since it fits with this thread...

What about the power flex t-posts that are recycled PVC or some self insulating material. Anyone ever used them? Any advice one way or the other?

I am thinking about using them for interior cross fencing and multi strand perimeter fence (horse pasture).

I got a sample from the plastic innovation website and it seemed tough enough. Wonder if the power flex are the same material? They say they are, but they are salespeople at the same time.

Thanks

I have some powerfelx composite post and they are really nice. I also have the fiberglass sucker rod post also, they are easier to pound in straight. For the price it is better to go with the composite or fiberglass over t-post since with t-post you have to buy insulators and always have the possibility of a dead short. I have pleanty of t-post and a few times a year insulators are a issues whereas the fiblerglass post the wire stays on easy with the clips. The composite post are super easy to drill holes, the fiberglass, a lot harder.

I'm going with bendable composite posts. The added benefit for me is with elk coming through. Deer will often jump over. Elk don't even know it's there when they knock it over. But they spring right back up. I have a bunch of used t-posts but am thinking of the composite for it's lack of management. I have to fix numerous broken fences due to elk.

Latest posts