Power steering problem on 6610 Ford

Help Support CattleToday:

pricefarm

Reaction score
The power steering on my 6610 stopped working. Before it went out completely it would be hard to steer at first or at a idel but once it warmed up a little it done ok. I changed the filter and topped off the oil at the end of last summer. The oil level is still good but once it has runed for a little bit the oil is real milky and foamy like it might have water in it. Not sure how the water got in because it is always in the barn if not being used. So how do u flush out all the hydraulic oil for the power steering ?

Some of em have a strainer on the goes into the pump line. Have the hoses rotted and causing blockage or flow problems?

I guess you could disconnect the line from the pump to the servo unit and put an adjustable restrictor in it, with a guage in front of that, as you close the restrictor the pressure should go up, I don't know what they're designed to run at, but you should be coming close to 1000 PSI.

If you pull the pump off and take it apart, as Hook wrote, you may see it just needs some new seals, which would be the cheapest way to go, while it's apart you can take some feeler gauges to it and test the tolerances and check for bad score marks. Kingfisher and Lavacarancher both make good points too... inlet strainers, filters, can be plugged (some have a filter in the reservoir, if it's plugged it'll suck air from the top of the reservoir, causing the milky look), and depending on how the hoses are routed, there *could* be an air leak into the system that doesn't show up as an oil leak.

Lastly, a jammed pressure relief valve could cause it not to build up pressure, but that's pretty darned unlikely

Order a new pump the other day and got it today. I put it on a sure enough I had power steering again!! Thanks everyone

On something that old I'd be surprised if the hoses aren't coming apart contaminating the system. Might matter might not. Be easy enough to tell if the fluid gets dark soon.

Been spreading some manure today with the 6610 and the steering is working fine but the power steering pump seems to be very hot when u touch it. I have never payed attention to it before if it was hot or not. Is that normal? Not sure how hot it is but u don't want to leave your hand on it to long.

pricefarm":1ntvy4li said:
Been spreading some manure today with the 6610 and the steering is working fine but the power steering pump seems to be very hot when u touch it. I have never payed attention to it before if it was hot or not. Is that normal? Not sure how hot it is but u don't want to leave your hand on it to long.
Steering still going strong? My 5900 has same symptoms as before you changed PS pump.

RanchMan90":3uktgmvo said:
pricefarm":3uktgmvo said:
Steering still going strong? My 5900 has same symptoms as before you changed PS pump.

Yes pump is still doing fine. It does feel hot but it works just fine. I ordered my pump from Messicks.

Latest posts