Pour on???

Help Support CattleToday:

denvermartinfarms

Reaction score
I was pouring some cows a couple weeks ago and splashed some on my shirt, I didn't know it was there for a couple hours but I washed it and changed shirts when I figured it out. Now pretty close to where it was I have about 2 inch area with a pretty bad rash that's peeling and itching, anyone ever had such a thing? I didn't put it all together until today, but I still don't know if it would even do that or not.

Neighbor had to quit pouring his cows as he would get so sick when he dumped ivermectin on himself. Myself, on the other hand, have had many applications of it each fall, never had any impact. So I guess that means I am staying worm-free, or my worms are completely resistant. Maybe I should switch pour-ons.

Some people react to it, some don't. I actually rub a little in my hair every spring. Run the winter fleas out. :lol:

Aaron":3hui87ob said:
Neighbor had to quit pouring his cows as he would get so sick when he dumped ivermectin on himself. Myself, on the other hand, have had many applications of it each fall, never had any impact. So I guess that means I am staying worm-free, or my worms are completely resistant. Maybe I should switch pour-ons.

I had some of the same issues but not real bad. I was always getting some on me and after 50 head or so I would get pretty sick. Changed to injectable Cydectin last year though so no longer and issue.

sim.-ang.king":2z80gsyf said:
Some people react to it, some don't. I actually rub a little in my hair every spring. Run the winter fleas out. :lol:
I once told someone that I wash my hair with pour on so I won't have worms :lol2:

The bad part is that it's right in and above my belt line, so it keeps it aggravated. If a morning it's not to bad, but by the end of the day it's red and itching.

denvermartinfarms":siwgczxe said:
I was pouring some cows a couple weeks ago and splashed some on my shirt, I didn't know it was there for a couple hours but I washed it and changed shirts when I figured it out. Now pretty close to where it was I have about 2 inch area with a pretty bad rash that's peeling and itching, anyone ever had such a thing? I didn't put it all together until today, but I still don't know if it would even do that or not.

Why are you treating cattle this time of year?

Caustic Burno":1b02wcy5 said:
denvermartinfarms":1b02wcy5 said:

Well for deworming I drench and pour both together, I bought some cows that were thin and pretty wormy so I was treating them.

denvermartinfarms":3f97nbyv said:
Caustic Burno":3f97nbyv said:
denvermartinfarms":3f97nbyv said:

Well for deworming I drench and pour both together, I bought some cows that were thin and pretty wormy so I was treating them.

Every workshop or vet I ever talked to here say to treat Memorial and Labor and not after Labor day if they were not treated then.
The parasites are in stages after then that can cause problems from bloat to paralysis.

When to Treat Cattle with Grubs
IVOMEC Pour-On effectively controls all stages of cattle grubs. However, proper timing of treatment is important. For the most effective results, cattle should be treated as soon as possible after the end of the heel fly (warble fly) season. While this is not peculiar to ivermectin, destruction of Hypoderma larvae (cattle grubs) at the period when these grubs are in vital areas may cause undesirable host-parasite reactions. Killing Hypoderma lineatum when it is in the esophageal tissues may cause bloat; killing H. bovis when it is in the vertebral canal may cause staggering or paralysis. Cattle should be treated either before or after these stages of grub development.
Cattle treated with IVOMEC Pour-On at the end of the fly season may be re-treated with IVOMEC during the winter without danger of grub-related reactions. For further information and advice on a planned parasite control program, consult your veterinarian

Caustic Burno":302z06cs said:
Well for deworming I drench and pour both together, I bought some cows that were thin and pretty wormy so I was treating them.[/quote]

Every workshop or vet I ever talked to here say to treat Memorial and Labor and not after Labor day if they were not treated then.
The parasites are in stages after then that can cause problems from bloat to paralysis.

When to Treat Cattle with Grubs
IVOMEC Pour-On effectively controls all stages of cattle grubs. However, proper timing of treatment is important. For the most effective results, cattle should be treated as soon as possible after the end of the heel fly (warble fly) season. While this is not peculiar to ivermectin, destruction of Hypoderma larvae (cattle grubs) at the period when these grubs are in vital areas may cause undesirable host-parasite reactions. Killing Hypoderma lineatum when it is in the esophageal tissues may cause bloat; killing H. bovis when it is in the vertebral canal may cause staggering or paralysis. Cattle should be treated either before or after these stages of grub development.
Cattle treated with IVOMEC Pour-On at the end of the fly season may be re-treated with IVOMEC during the winter without danger of grub-related reactions. For further information and advice on a planned parasite control program, consult your veterinarian[/quote]
I've never known that, my vet just says that if they have worms pretty bad, then they need to be dewormed instead of letting it go.

It is safe to kill the worms but maybe not the grubs. Different areas have different time warnings but the danger is still there even though it is small. I will not worm from about Halloween till about Jan 15th. Some say Thanksgiving till New Years but I take it a little more on each end.

Latest posts