pour on wormers

Help Support CattleToday:

cypressfarms

Reaction score
I've always been a user of Ivomec plus, and it's worked for me. This year I was considering switching to a pour on. Mainly for two reasons: ease of application, and maybe some added fly control.

My local feed store guy; who's always known his stuff, recommended I stay with the injectables. He said that the injectibles work better.

Has anybody else heard/experienced this?

I trust the guy and he really has nothing to gain by steering me wrong. I'll buy the meds from him regardless of what I buy.

I do both injectable and pour-on. Probably a bit overkill but I know the parasites are wiped out.

cypressfarms":1ifr4e1m said:
I've always been a user of Ivomec plus, and it's worked for me. This year I was considering switching to a pour on. Mainly for two reasons: ease of application, and maybe some added fly control.

My local feed store guy; who's always known his stuff, recommended I stay with the injectables. He said that the injectibles work better.

I trust the guy and he really has nothing to gain by steering me wrong. I'll buy the meds from him regardless of what I buy.
It's just a matter of which do you want to use. The pour on works well and give limited fly control as well. I switch back and forth between the pour on and injectable.

Drench is the ideal.
Hard to comment on pour ons since there are different ones. Flukes are a concern.
I use what is simple -

injectable if I am doing head work
pour on if I have a chute full
feed granules on pasture

Liver flukes is exactly why I've used Ivomec plus; but I can't say for certain that I have them. I can say that I do have low lying areas and with all the rain we normally get, there are usually small sloughs that develop in several areas on my land (I actually bagged some wood ducks in them this past season).

The feed store owner's advice was that injectibles are more effective/efficient at killing parasites than pour on's. Not too sure about this statement. I might as well stay with the Ivomec plus since it's worked well to date, but wanted to see various opinions from any who are experienced with pour on's.

the fly control is a nice benefit of the pour-on isnt it?

we used pour-on for years. it sure was convenient. i could even worm most cows out in the pasture if i needed to. lately it doesnt seem to work as well, i didnt konw if our worms were building up a resitance to it or what (i imagine it would work better in heavier than recommended doses). my vet says the thing about the pour-on is that different cows absorb it differently, depending on their hide and such (and obviously really hairy cows are a little trickier to get it on good-). also you have to ensure it stays on for a certain amount of time before it rains or the waterbuffalo get submerged in the pond.

i imagine you could probably get away with skipping the ivomec-plus every other year unless you are just really ate up with liverflukes. this would save a few dollars.

we used mostly the ivomec pour-on for years and i had about decided the ivomec wasnt effective anymore. but then when i got goats goat farmers were telling me that most all goat people worm orally now. they claim that the oral is more effective, faster than the injectible but also leaves the body sooner whereas the injectible lasts longer but is distributed throughout and is therefor less concentrated (for lack of better wording). the drawback is that massive worm dieout from worming orally (or any way if you worm hard enough i suppose) is that there can be internal bleeding where the worms were.

having said that, i have started worming my cows orally with ivomec injectible. i just put it in their feed whenever i see one that needs worming. and it has worked really well, better than actually injecting the injectible i think. so i've ruled out resistance. not sure if its due to the wormer going directly to the worms and the stomach or what, but it works. i usually see drastic results in 1-2 weeks.

*edit to say* ive heard you need to give more injectible than recommended on the bottle if you are going to give it orally but i havent found this to be the case. i put whatever the bottle recommends to be given as an injectible in a syringe and just squirt that on the feed and it has worked well for me. so i wont increase the dosage until it seems there is a need to.

Beefy":231nofzh said:
the fly control is a nice benefit of the pour-on isnt it?

we used pour-on for years. it sure was convenient. i could even worm most cows out in the pasture if i needed to. lately it doesnt seem to work as well, i didnt konw if our worms were building up a resitance to it or what (i imagine it would work better in heavier than recommended doses). my vet says the thing about the pour-on is that different cows absorb it differently, depending on their hide and such (and obviously really hairy cows are a little trickier to get it on good-). also you have to ensure it stays on for a certain amount of time before it rains or the waterbuffalo get submerged in the pond.

i imagine you could probably get away with skipping the ivomec-plus every other year unless you are just really ate up with liverflukes. this would save a few dollars.

we used mostly the ivomec pour-on for years and i had about decided the ivomec wasnt effective anymore. but then when i got goats goat farmers were telling me that most all goat people worm orally now. they claim that the oral is more effective, faster than the injectible but also leaves the body sooner whereas the injectible lasts longer but is distributed throughout and is therefor less concentrated (for lack of better wording). the drawback is that massive worm dieout from worming orally (or any way if you worm hard enough i suppose) is that there can be internal bleeding where the worms were.

having said that, i have started worming my cows orally with ivomec injectible. i just put it in their feed whenever i see one that needs worming. and it has worked really well, better than actually injecting the injectible i think. so i've ruled out resistance. not sure if its due to the wormer going directly to the worms and the stomach or what, but it works. i usually see drastic results in 1-2 weeks.

*edit to say* ive heard you need to give more injectible than recommended on the bottle if you are going to give it orally but i havent found this to be the case. i put whatever the bottle recommends to be given as an injectible in a syringe and just squirt that on the feed and it has worked well for me. so i wont increase the dosage until it seems there is a need to.

Can you post a link to what this looks like? I'm thinking of buying some for my heifers when I feed them. I'm wormed them with pour on two weeks ago but I'm not sure I did a good enough job. I was walking among them in the corral and spraying them.

Beefy how do you gauge how well one method of worming works vs another? Do you have the vet do fecal tests?? Keep in mind as that that goats have to be wormed every 30 days....you may end up doing the same with your cattle to get good results. As for flukes....Cypress probably needs to consider them over in his area but where i am it would be a total waste of money. Any fly control from pour on's is good but also is very short lived .

cypressfarms":24j9hygj said:

Cypress in our enviroment you should use injectable in the spring for liver flukes pour on doesn't cut it here. We have the perfect breeding ground for flukes. I inject them in the spring and pour on in the fall, this is what the rep from Merial and the County Agent recommend for our wet climate.

hi last year we used Ivomec pour on we only have 2 cow and 2 calf. this year at tcs they said iver.on, (ivermectin pour on.) was better is it realy better and why. Does it killer Liver Flukes? another ? should my calfs be weaned about 6mo old? do i need to wait until i put them up to wean before i re breed their mamma? thanks char

by the way i for got tell all you friends in Tenn.i am sorry about all of the rain you are getting we got some but nothing like you i will pray for you and hope thing get better real soon.
char

Char, the TSC wormer will not kill flukes but they should not be a problem in your area anyway.

The calves can be weaned anytime as late as 9 months but many people wean about 7 months. As long as the cow stays on good condition it can be later. The cow should be rebred so she will calve every 12 months so that means she should be bred by the time the calf is 3 months old at the latest.