Pour-on for pregnant cows..

Help Support CattleToday:

redcowsrule33":37zkyc9m said:
We used UltraBoss this year with good results, especially after the second application (has to be given 2 weeks apart). Just can't put it on in subzero weather, the stuff is too thick and doesn't penetrate the haircoat well.
With lice, as I understand it, you have to do anything pretty much 2 weeks apart so that you get the nits that were eggs at the first treatment and before they mature enough to lay eggs again

dun":n19ezihd said:
redcowsrule33":n19ezihd said:
We used UltraBoss this year with good results, especially after the second application (has to be given 2 weeks apart). Just can't put it on in subzero weather, the stuff is too thick and doesn't penetrate the haircoat well.
With lice, as I understand it, you have to do anything pretty much 2 weeks apart so that you get the nits that were eggs at the first treatment and before they mature enough to lay eggs again

Most avermectins have some persistent activity against lice. Moxidectin (Cydectin) has been shown to have 42 day persistency (see the abstract at http://cat.inist.fr/?aModele=afficheN&cpsidt=13528560). Others probably do, too, but I don't have time to research it right now. Pyrethrins such as UltraBoss and other insecticides need to reapplied for the exact reason dun stated.

Jeanne - Simme Valley":n19ezihd said:
Ivermec & Dectomax are NOT the same. Totally different insecticide. To the best of my "memory". both are safe for pregnant cattle, but always read labels.

Different medications, same drug family (ivermectin, doramectin, moxidectin, eprinomectin are all of the avermectin class). Like aspirin and ibuprofen are both NSAIDs but there are some differences in how they work.

BTW most avermectins are in fact labeled for both biting and sucking lice.

Seems to me from ther information so far that If you havce an obvious and severe lice problem as Wisteria probably has, the quick way to address this is to dose them with one of the products listed above (I have used Permectrin (sp)) in a garden sprayer mixed per the label so you can get around them and repeat in 2 weeks?

Permectrin in an oil base poured down the back and especially the tail head works well for lice. Comes in 1 gallon containers costing about $25. I use it only in weather say +25 or better because it makes the critter a little oily on top and may lower the insulation value.

Latest posts