Potential New Herd Boss?

Help Support CattleToday:

HOSS

Reaction score
I got a pretty red angus heifer calf born in early November. She is outgrowing her contemporaries. Even some of the bull calves. She is showing signs of wanting to be a leader even within the herd of grown cows. Usually when I go into the pasture they line up by pecking order and follow me around. I guess in hopes of getting a snack. This little heifer forces her way to the front and even fights to keep that position. I tried to see if it was a fluke by walking back through the cows and going back the way I came and she forced her way through the pack again and lined up with her nose 5 foot from my back. She is unusually brave and curious and wants to check out anything strange before the rest of the herd. She will leave momma and check out dogs or deer. If she don't like what she sees she runs back to the herd and tries to make the others run the other way. I am begining to like this little heifer. I may hold on to her. Has anyone else seen this type of behavior out of a calf so young?

in the wild, calves like that dont last long.

Latest posts