Potential bargain

Help Support CattleToday:

I've seen a lot worse on Craig's List. I think a guy looking for black terminal calves could do a lot worse than that guy. He's not good, but he's far from horrible.

Bestoutwest":1z6rz6fq said:
I've seen a lot worse on Craig's List. I think a guy looking for black terminal calves could do a lot worse than that guy. He's not good, but he's far from horrible.
What part other than the tail do you think is not good?

kenny thomas":2svt7bwx said:
Bestoutwest":2svt7bwx said:
What part other than the tail do you think is not good?

Should have said not great. I'd like to see a little fuller rear end and a bit bigger sack-maybe it was cold that day, who knows. I didn't think he was that bad, I think he'd be really nice for a commercial herd and he'll probably be priced decently without the tail.

I was only half joking about him being a bargain. I think that he looks real good and his epds are outstanding. Plus with no tail he might sell for kill price. I can't believe that they left him intact, though. Wonder if it was a defect or something ripped or chewed it off.

I would imagine it happened after birth. I've seen tails froze off but not that short. The shortest I've seen froze was still about 4-5 inches long. Not a bad bull. If price was right could do someone some good. I went and looked at his numbers in their catalog and his pedigree. A well bred bull. If he was closer I would be interested in him.

Lazy M":2cfit3k4 said:
Wonder if it was a defect or something ripped or chewed it off.
Congenital taillessness is rare and a defect, might also have other implications such as rectal problems.

IF he was born that way, I would hope it's been reported to the breed association.

Don't surprise me. He was a solid bull from a reputable breeder. The lack of a tail won't hurt his semen production.

cattleman99":od03877y said:
elkwc":od03877y said:
Don't surprise me. He was a solid bull from a reputable breeder. The lack of a tail won't hurt his semen production.

No but it will hurt semen sales.

I meant for the commercial breeder. He will still be able to service just as many cows. At the price he brought he likely went to a commercial breeder or a small PB breeder IMO. I've had cows with short tails and ears froze off and it didn't hurt them on bit.
Did they say anything about the lack of tail and what might of happened when he sold?

Latest posts