Potential 4-H Show Steer for '08

Help Support CattleToday:

4-H_Kid07

Reaction score
4-H_Kid07":133qn4kr said:
They arent very good pics but... I am not sure which one I am going to take or I might just take both...

This one is a limo/hereford/angus cross. Born early May 07.

100_2718.jpg

100_2717.jpg

This one is also a limo/hereford/angus cross. Born late may 07.

100_2720.jpg

100_2713.jpg

It's hard to get a good 'look' at these calves from the pictures. From what I see, steer number 2 has a better build.
They both have quite a bit of growin' to do before you should make any final desicions. Good Luck with them!

they'd have to grow alot before i could decide. the pics aren't very good, so its really hard to tell which is better. as of now, i pick neither. cute calves btw.

Based on the pictures, my semi inexperinced son said the younger one. He is longer and appears to be more muscular. Try posting them again in a few months! Good Luck.

showmomof2":15gyug9v said:
Based on the pictures, my semi inexperinced son said the younger one. He is longer and appears to be more muscular. Try posting them again in a few months! Good Luck.
I will post more pics later...

Get them on creep feed and when you wean them pour the grain to them. I think they will look better than Fred and Thunder.

Canadian_Cowgirl":3f08qgom said:
4-H_Kid07":3f08qgom said:
IluvABbeef":3f08qgom said:
4-H_Kid07":3f08qgom said:
Thank You ILuvABbeef

Your welcome.

I sure like that little black baldy bullcalf, btw.

The black baldy? calf. What does the baldy mean?

:roll: :roll:
Black white face...... its face is called bald, cuz its white...

Oh.Ok... Know I get it... LOL!

Hard to tell from these pics, and at a young age. The second one looks to be thicker along the top, but the first one looks to be better bodied (ie. deeper, longer). I would assess them again at around 5 months, then again at 10 months when I would start breaking them in. I would either choose between them then, (at 10 mths) or, I would just end up taking both, or at least breaking and feeding both to see how they go.

Keren":ponytsqh said:
I would either choose between them then, (at 10 mths) or, I would just end up taking both, or at least breaking and feeding both to see how they go.

Yeah I was just thinking of taking both...

The baldy looks like a cleaner necked calf, love his markings. Out here the judges like smaller, thicker calfs so my pick would be the baldy. I also think you may have a better chance on getting a good coat with him. Do you keep your show stock in cooler barns? If you do the baldy is my pick of the two.
The brown calf is the longer bodied animal, deep and better hind quarters from the side view. I still think even though he might be better in structure I would place my money on the animal that can produce the better coat.
Remember, out here if the animal is slick in coat, you wont make auction, so I tend to lean tward hair. If you don't have that problem where you are then the brown calf would be my pick. If you can afford to keep both, I would.
Have fun and show hard. :lol:

show steer up":1ies3nss said:
The baldy looks like a cleaner necked calf, love his markings. Out here the judges like smaller, thicker calfs so my pick would be the baldy. I also think you may have a better chance on getting a good coat with him. Do you keep your show stock in cooler barns? If you do the baldy is my pick of the two.
The brown calf is the longer bodied animal, deep and better hind quarters from the side view. I still think even though he might be better in structure I would place my money on the animal that can produce the better coat.
Remember, out here if the animal is slick in coat, you wont make auction, so I tend to lean tward hair. If you don't have that problem where you are then the brown calf would be my pick. If you can afford to keep both, I would.
Have fun and show hard. :lol:

I can afford both so I think that I am going to take both. And I also have a dairy steer. I would make that auction. Everyone does unless they get a yellow ribbon. And only 2 people got yellow ribbons for steers this year. That is because they werre double muscled looking. And no I keep my steer right out in a acre or so of pasture.

Latest posts