Potatoe waste

Help Support CattleToday:

Howdyjabo":25yc0c0e said:
We are talking about the same stuff. Its AMAZING how much water can be in something that still has a solid form. I feed one that is 14% DM and it gets dumped off the truck and just sits there in a pile. Ever check and see how much moisture is in grass especially in the spring?

Not sure how I can get any clearer on DM consumption values and limiting factors when feeding a wet product. They are used ALL the time and very successfully if you follow the rules.

Again- I wouldn't play with potato waste unless I had a TMR mixer to control consumption.

I'm fully aware of the use of various wet products. I guess it was just your method of describing DMI that was throwing me a curve as it seemed you were looking at it in reverse. And yes I've sampled and tested lush grazing many times. It will often run very close to 90% moisture and cattle gain weight rapidly. I can't see much value in using the potato waste at all but since it's free I guess it could be used someway.Not unlike grinding very low grade hay into the mix. Something in the mix has to make up for the lack of nutrient quality... Increase the nutrient density and you can often get the same results from a little lower DMI if the ration is balanced properly.

Latest posts