Post recipes old fashioned and new, canning too

Help Support CattleToday:

WagaAgeyv

Reaction score
I have seen several recipes I would like to try on here so please post away. Even if you have done so else where here. I think it would be great to have them all in one place. I love trying new ones and am always on the look out for the old time ones. Some I am looking for is Lye soap and lard. I like to try anything once. I enjoy mexican food and was raised on it.

Frito Chili Pie

9x11x2 dish

Layer in this order:
1 can tamales & 1 can encheladas alternate across bottom of pan
cover with:
1 can chili w/beans
1 cup salsa Homemade
last 15 minutes of baking
1/2 lb bag fritos
1/2 cup shredded chedder cheese- bake til lightly brown

Bake at 350 degrees 45 mins

Here's a real easy but good recipe for those who like blueberries and ice cream.

1 cup flour; 1 cup butter; 1 cup sugar; 1 quart fresh blueberries

Put berries in a baking dish. Mix sugar, flour, butter together and throw in a pinch of salt. Combine it all together and sprinkle it over the berries in the dish.

Bake for 1 hour at 325.

When done, put three dolips of ice cream on top and enjoy. :p

Tip for good fried chicken. Soak chicken in brine water overnight before battering and frying. The brine water will cause the chicken to soak up water so when it is cooked the water will boil out of the chicken and keep the oil from going into the chicken and making it greesy. (I'd give you my recipe but I'd hate to put KFC out of business)

Of jellies and jams. Add some sumac berry juice to the mixture will bring out the color and improve clarity.

Here is my favorite that was given to me by a friend. Now if you don't like things hot don't make it.

4 1/2 qt. water
1 1/2 qt. vinegar
1 1/2c. pickling salt
garlic, onion, fresh dill, habenero peppers and mustard seed.
In quart jars put 1 bunch fresh dill, 1 garlic clove, 2 or 3 slices of pepper and a slice of onion.
Pack cucumbers in jars. This will do 7 quart jars for me.
Heat water, salt and vinegar to boiling. Pour into the jars and let cool.
Pour back into the pot and re-boil.
Add 1t. mustard seed to the jars.
Pre-heat the oven to 350 degrees.
After brine has boiled again pour back into the jars and seal.
Put in a cake pan and put in the oven for 15 minutes.
Remove and turn upside down and let cool.

Now I normally don't like Bread and Butter pickles, but I made these today for a friend and these are the best I have ever tasted. Going to make more next week.

4 qts. sliced cucumbers
1/2c pickling salt
2 qts. sliced onions
1 qt. vinegar
4c. sugar
1 T. celery seed
2 T. mustard seed
1 T. ground ginger
1 t. ground tumeric

Gently stir salt into thinly sliced cucumbers. Cover with ice cubes; let stand 2 or 3 hours or until cucumbers are crisp and cold. Add more ice if it melts. Drain; add onions.
Mix remaining ingredients; bring quickly to a boil, don't let it boil over. Boil for 10 minutes.
Add cucumber and onion slices and bring to a boiling point. Pack loosely at once in hot jars; adjust lids.
Process in boiling water bath for 15 minutes. Remove from canner and let cool.

Latest posts