Post hole digger

Help Support CattleToday:

denoginnizer

Reaction score
I am thinking about replacing my 15 year old digger with a new one. The soil on the new farm is good black dirt for a foot or two but after that it turns into limerock in many places.
Considering a digger with downforce and perhaps a slip clutch. Was just wondering if anyone had any experience using a digger with down force or slip clutch? Seems like I am always breaking the shear bolt in my current model.
Also see they have hydraulic diggers that will turn forward and reverse. Seems like this would be handy around roots but I am concerned the hydraulic model ,rhino, wouldnt have enough power.

A friend of mine has a hydraulic auger on his skid loader and that works real good , when we put our building up last year he dug holes in some really tough shale and it worked pretty good.

denoginnizer":3sn746px said:
I am thinking about replacing my 15 year old digger with a new one. The soil on the new farm is good black dirt for a foot or two but after that it turns into limerock in many places.
Considering a digger with downforce and perhaps a slip clutch. Was just wondering if anyone had any experience using a digger with down force or slip clutch? Seems like I am always breaking the shear bolt in my current model.
Also see they have hydraulic diggers that will turn forward and reverse. Seems like this would be handy around roots but I am concerned the hydraulic model ,rhino, wouldnt have enough power.
if your hitting rock or limestone at 1ft or a tad more down.then you need a belltec hydrolic digger.that digger will go through rock an concrete.an it works off your tractors htdrolics.i priced the belltec a few months ago an they wanted $4600 for the unit.

I have a Bush Hog post hole digger with a down force cylinder. It is suppose to give you 500 lbs of down pressure. My soil is black gumbo with red clay and sandstone below that. So far, nothing has stopped it from digging. BTW, it does have a slip clutch which is a good thing because if you push down with two much force, the auger will bind.

If you have another tractor with a front end loader you can use it to push down on the top of your current digger. This takes two tractors and two men but if you have the equipment it works fine

denoginnizer":394zjy9h said:

denoginnizer,I am thinking the same thing,I got alot of fence to build/patch,I dont know wheter to buy a hydraulic post pounder,pnuematic post pounder,or a post hole digger with down force,Im thinking if a man was to buy a post pounder that would handle 3" pipe and 't' posts he would do alright ?...........good luck
PS I would appreciate anyones thoughts on the pro & cons of the post pounders,Im sure denoginnizer would also,sorry denoginnizer,did'nt mean to hijack your thread.

If you have machiniery with a slipclutch, make sure you loosen the clutch until it spins freely, then retighten at least once a year prior to using it. If you don't they tend not to slip when you need it to.

I didn't buy the post pounder for several reasons. Number 1 it takes two men to run it. Number two if you are building a new fence in a completely clear fence line it works fine but what if you are rebuilding an old fence line with trees in it. You would have to back up for each post. To accurately place the post you would need to buy the hydraulic attachment that lets you move the post from side to side. This takes the price of a post pounder up to around $4000-5000.

I bought the air powered hand held driver from Rohrer manufacturing, with my generator/welder and air compressor I can drive posts anywhere.
For corner posts I use the Bush Hog with hydraulic down force.

Both can be operated by one man - me....

farmerjohn":1ljz2i2d said:
I didn't buy the post pounder for several reasons. Number 1 it takes two men to run it. Number two if you are building a new fence in a completely clear fence line it works fine but what if you are rebuilding an old fence line with trees in it. You would have to back up for each post. To accurately place the post you would need to buy the hydraulic attachment that lets you move the post from side to side. This takes the price of a post pounder up to around $4000-5000.

Got a Shaver 10". Bought it new 5 years ago with manual adjustment for $1850 in crate, some assembly required. Prefer to run it by myself, no one else to fuss at if something ain't right. If I had it to do over again I'd buy a Worksaver or come off the jack for a Wheatheart, those are Cadillacs. Seems like everything I try to penny-pinch on winds up being a disappointment later on. Pay me now or pay me later.

cfpinz

Latest posts