Post driver on a Case 685

Help Support CattleToday:

tom4018

Dumb Old Farmer
Reaction score
Neighbor bought a use post driver and is trying to put it on his 685. He is trying to plumb it with the pressure line to the remote and return back to the axle housing. He says it is going over relief all the time, any ideas? I never dealt with drivers too much but wondered if the driver had the wrong valve on it?

Did the driver come off a Deere by chance? Could have the wrong open/closed center sleeve in the valve.

Good idea cfpinz.I have seen some that have had the dump line replaced with something other than 1 in hose and that doesn't work well.We always dumped the Shavers right in the hy resurvor.

cfpinz":mjelghc2 said:
Did the driver come off a Deere by chance? Could have the wrong open/closed center sleeve in the valve.
Thats what I was thinking, he got it at an auction so he has no clue. Should it work with the pressure line hooked to the remote and the other dumping back to reservoir?

tom4018":mvbymrg1 said:
cfpinz":mvbymrg1 said:
Thats what I was thinking, he got it at an auction so he has no clue. Should it work with the pressure line hooked to the remote and the other dumping back to reservoir?
That is the only way it will work
The return dumps too much fluid for the return to be hooked to the remotes
by going over the releif are you meaning it kicks the remote valve off when he is using it

My tractors will not stay on detent when I am using my post driver so you have to have the tractor operator hold the lever on the tractor engaged because when you place the driver lever in the hold position it kicks the tractor hyd out because of pressure build up like it was designed to do

Angus Cowman":3jdtonno said:
My tractors will not stay on detent when I am using my post driver so you have to have the tractor operator hold the lever on the tractor engaged because when you place the driver lever in the hold position it kicks the tractor hyd out because of pressure build up like it was designed to do

That would get old real quick. I'd be curious to know if you swapped the sleeve in your valve if it kept doing that. If it's not dead-heading I'd put a bungee cord holding the valve.

I have a J D and thats what I do, use a bungee to hold the valve on.

Went and looked at this for him, found the valve was plumb wrong. They had the cylinder hooked to the inlet line on the valve and the remote hooked to the outlet line, return line was right. Amazing how much better things work when hooked up right. He didn't do it he was using the original lines like they were hooked up. He sure felt better about his used driver after the quick fix.

Latest posts