Post-Dehorning Questions

Help Support CattleToday:

TxCoUnTrYbOy

Reaction score
well i had my bull dehorned yesterday, and hes been bumping his head on the pen a lot trying to stick his head out. this causes his head to bleed a lot where the stitches are. the blood stops after a while, but is there anything i can to to stop the bleeding or anything to help him out? also the flies are horrible around the stitches. the vet said with the stuff he sprayed on i dont need to put anything on it, no antibacterial spray or fly spray, the stuff he put would protect it. the flies are swarming all over him, but the spray seems to have sealed up the wound. the spray looks like a chrome paint type stuff. is he still safe from flies eggs and disease with this spray? the reason i ask is because last year a different vet said to keep flies away or they will lay eggs in the wounds which would kill the animal. if i need to get some fly spray, what do i need to get? i dont want to use something that will do more harm than the flies will. one last thing now. he was branded 3 weeks ago today. i thought the brand was just healing up, but now it seems to be getting red and more like scabs than just healing. the vet sprayed something on the brand yesterday but didnt mention if i need to do anything else to it. any suggestions?

thanks for any help.

TxCoUnTrYbOy":1xmtcoka said:
well i had my bull dehorned yesterday, and hes been bumping his head on the pen a lot trying to stick his head out. this causes his head to bleed a lot where the stitches are. the blood stops after a while, but is there anything i can to to stop the bleeding or anything to help him out? also the flies are horrible around the stitches. the vet said with the stuff he sprayed on i dont need to put anything on it, no antibacterial spray or fly spray, the stuff he put would protect it. the flies are swarming all over him, but the spray seems to have sealed up the wound. the spray looks like a chrome paint type stuff. is he still safe from flies eggs and disease with this spray? the reason i ask is because last year a different vet said to keep flies away or they will lay eggs in the wounds which would kill the animal. if i need to get some fly spray, what do i need to get? i dont want to use something that will do more harm than the flies will. one last thing now. he was branded 3 weeks ago today. i thought the brand was just healing up, but now it seems to be getting red and more like scabs than just healing. the vet sprayed something on the brand yesterday but didnt mention if i need to do anything else to it. any suggestions?

thanks for any help.

typically with a cosmetic dehorn, fly spray is not needed because there is no open hole for the flies to get in & lay eggs. w/scoop & burn dehorning there is much greater concern of flies (if the base of the horn was pretty wide & dehorning leaves a hole in the head). if you're really concerned, your vet or feed store should have some spray you can put on it.

brands will scab over & then the scab will peel off.

TXAG, I would suggest a pour on treatment of Cylence or Brute. Apply down the back. Flies should be minimized in a few hours and this is safe.

Anonymous":o8822rl6 said:
TXAG, I would suggest a pour on treatment of Cylence or Brute. Apply down the back. Flies should be minimized in a few hours and this is safe.

yes, that will work also.

I had a couple of heifers dehorned in Mid April. The vet used a circular type saw and cut them off flush to the head. He put the ususal meds on the areas. I've had him do a lot of calves over the past 4 years. A week later, I noticed one heifer shaking her head and running around the little pasture. She came up to me for a handful of cubes. I saw maggots crawling in the cavities. I went to the vet and he gave me some spray for flies on wounds. It was CASTON OR CASTRON. Basically it was very watered down pymethrin. I put her in the headgate, washed out the cavities with hydrogen peroxide and sprayed the cavities full of the stuff. killed everything and she was fine the next day. He said I may have to do it again in 5 days but it was unnecessary. She healed up fine.

skip":s941fs0b said:
It was CASTON OR CASTRON. Basically it was very watered down pymethrin.

Catron IV & when i worked for the vet we always sprayed w/this before the cattle left if they'd been scoop & burned. we sprayed cosmetic dehorns w/Furacin.

Latest posts