Possibly injured bull

Help Support CattleToday:

lithuanian farmer

Reaction score
Everyones opinion welcome. Saw this on our herd bull. Possible injury? He's been with one herd for two months, now only the 4th day in the new herd, 5 cows in heat during this time. Our thoughts that we'll need to put our own bred bull to work and this one will be culled.
IMG_20210730_123648.jpg

That doesn't look good. Usually with a broken penis you see a knot on the penis. I'm not sure what is going on in your picture but would say he isn't in working order at this time.

Looks like a penile hematoma (broken penis) and preputial prolapse. He won't be breeding anything for a while, if ever again.

Sorry that happened to your bull. Glad you have some spare bulls to use in his place. We've had that happen a few times too, and why we like to keep back a bull calf or two each year.

Crossbred bull for this season to clean up after AI and catch some silent cows and a new bull for the next year. This one has covered maybe 10 or abit more cows this year and it seems the end for him.

Warts are also a possibility causing him to keep it pulled in, the age is right for them.

Ken
You asked about the age of the current injured bull or the one we'll put in his place? The young one is 15months old and the injured bull is 4,5 years old, have his calves on the ground from last year work.
Sorry if I misunderstood your question.

Really quite impressive how common this is. Penis doesn't entirely break but the prepuce becomes damaged or torn. Had one that i caught the day it happened and pulled him off and he healed fine - some blood but was able still to retract it. Most don't get caught right away and keep trying to use it and it gets swollen and dried up hanging out like that then it's over.

Consider Hitting him with a heavy course of antibiotics and dexamethasone, I wouldn't be scared to get your vet out if you can at least make him look clean enough to sell without a booger on him that kill buyers can spot. Big Bulls down here going for $1.05 at the market. Would be worth a vet bill to try and avoid a prepuse prolapse for salvage value . They are not camouflageable. 🎈 lol

What is everyone seeing? Everything looks good to me, that pre-pink sheathing can go in and out when there's food or excitement (smells) in the air. I'm studying it and i see nothing wrong.
He's swollen up in his sheath. Got a knot. If it gets infected it will blow up like a balloon. Look like he's toting a bloody bell lol. Or it could be a broken pecker. To me either way it's More likely looking the start of something that can cause an infection. He may have drug it on a thorn or something and pulled it in .. who knows but if it gets out of hand his salvage value will go to nothing at least that's what happens here.

This is one of mine from a couple of years ago heading to the sale.

Attachments

• Bull damaged .JPG
    Bull damaged .JPG
    2 MB · Views: 49
He's swollen up in his sheath. Got a knot. If it gets infected it will blow up like a balloon. Look like he's toting a bloody bell lol. Or it could be a broken pecker. To me either way it's More likely looking the start of something that can cause an infection. He may have drug it on a thorn or something and pulled it in .. who knows but if it gets out of hand his salvage value will go to nothing at least that's what happens here.
Gotcha saw a little lump up there, no way it's knotted, agreed it might have been drug or punctured on something...i still believe this bull will heal itself as long as he's taken out of the herd of cows for rest. Antibiotic is always good...I'd try feeding a head of lettuce and an allotment of broccoli first...it'a a natural antibiotic for cattle.

Latest posts