Possible to us electric tape on elec. fence?

Help Support CattleToday:

BK9954

Reaction score
I have some electric wire going through some spots where it would be so much easier to wrap electric tape around the wire to help prevent a short. One is going through the middle of a metal H frame with no good way to attach it with the way it is. If the wire gets moved too much by wind or animal it would touch the metal pipe. Anyone used electrical tape before?

BK9954":1wzthrfh said:
I have some electric wire going through some spots where it would be so much easier to wrap electric tape around the wire to help prevent a short. One is going through the middle of a metal H frame with no good way to attach it with the way it is. If the wire gets moved too much by wind or animal it would touch the metal pipe. Anyone used electrical tape before?

No way! I've had shorts go through and around insulators I never though possible. Do it right.

You need something thicker than electrical tape. You are dealing with up to 12,000 volts even though the amps are low it is the volts (potential difference) that jumps the gaps. The tape is fine to hold the likes of split conduit in place but not as your primary source of insulation. Even with 12 volts if friction is involved it won't last long.

Ken

BK9954":2tu7t1ad said:

It will arc through it. There is a plastic tubing made for this. You can split it with a sharp knife and put it on then tape it and it works quite well. Everone should have a roll of the tubing . very handy. As are the fiberglass post mentioned above.
I'm sure you can find it closer . but American fence in georgetown is garunteed to have it. Not to far from Lockhart

I those small black tubes about 4" long but dont think those will do the trick for how long I am needing. I guess I will put tubing. Problem is I put the wire without planning for this. Didnt want to have to cut and splice but guess there is no other way. What about PVC pipe? Also how bad will wire arc to live trees? I have wire attached with only the black plastic 4" insulators protecting them. I have them in place with a staple. Should I nail treated wood to the tree to seperate them. I used the trees to cut cost on using post.

callmefence":wegukqxl said:
BK9954":wegukqxl said:

It will arc through it. There is a plastic tubing made for this. You can split it with a sharp knife and put it on then tape it and it works quite well. Everone should have a roll of the tubing . very handy. As are the fiberglass post mentioned above.
I'm sure you can find it closer . but American fence in georgetown is garunteed to have it. Not to far from Lockhart
Tractor Supply maybe? If not I will just order it. Shipping will probably be same as gas at 14 MPG in my truck. Georgetown is about an hour away. I only go there when visiting my folks. I have time as I am still laying the last 1/4 mile of wire.

M.Magis":2fds37nh said:
Would pipe insulation not work?
I have so much PVC pipe my grandfather never used I could probably do 300 yards of with it. Going to use that.. And bought some of that black plastic insulator tubing that slides on even after the wire is tightened. Bought a 5o foot roll of it.

No, I would not use black tape. There is tubing made specifically for that application.

Latest posts