Possible Stifle Injury

Help Support CattleToday:

jwalter

Reaction score
My husband and I recently purchased a steer that we were told had a broken leg. However after getting the steer it appears to be more of a stifle joint injury based on everything I am finding when I try to research the possibilities. He is not using the right rear leg at all. When walking the right leg just drags on the ground. My husband thought it was a dislocated hip when he first saw the steer, however I don't think the steer would be up and moving around if that were the case. He is eating and drinking water. He also grazes through out the day so it is not like he's just laying around all the time. I am just really on concerned on how to treat the injury. Everything I am reading says that if it is a stifle injury there is nothing that we can do. He is younger, I believe 1-2 years old. I am worried that his left rear leg is going to give and sustain injury because he is unable to use the right rear leg. Does anyone have any ideas on what I can do to help him. Currently he is about 400lbs. I can't image 3 legs holding his weight as he grows. Any help would be greatly appreciated. We just recently purchased land and this is the first time either of us have raised cattle before. Thank you!!!

Breed?

Picture?

Differentials - stifle injury (think ACL), hip injury, fracture, footrot, hairy heel wart, etc - hard to say but a picture, video, and/or visit by your local veterinarian would be a good start.

What do you plan to do with him?

400lbs would be very light for a yearling of most breeds. Cattle need all four legs - he won't last long or do well on 3. If he doesn't have the ability to recover to a normal healthy life in a reasonable amount of time with minimal pain then he should be put down (or put in the freezer).

What are your plans with this animal? 400 lbs would be light even for a yearling, I would guess he's a fall calf, making him somewhere in the 6-9 month range.

Do you have any handling facilities for him? Is he docile enough you can go up to him?

I agree that he won't do well on 3 legs, though I have seen some 3 legged cows.. I do believe PL Tannery here has one. Monitor how he's doing, and if he doesn't get better, I think cold therapy would be the best (the freezer)

Latest posts