Possible Ringworm?

Help Support CattleToday:

Bamadan

Reaction score
I got a 9 year old Yellow Lab male (always been a great dog), somewhere around the middle of December, he developed several crusted spots and lost most of the hair in those places. Several of the spots on his head, nose and around his eyes. He would chew hair off in places and scratch places raw. The Vet suspected something fungal, possible ringworm and began treatment based on that diagnosis (with some really strong meds). After six to eight weeks of treatment, we began to see results. By the end of February, we thought we had him well on the way to being healed, then bout 10 days ago, he relapsed. Don't have "ringworm" looking spots as before, but has smaller sores over most of his body and loss of appitite. Our Vet is puzzled.
Anyone had experience with anything similar, any thoughts, ideas. Would appreciate any help.

Try a dog food with no grain. It is possible that it is an allergy. I am dealing with a similar circumstance. I recently started the no grain diet. Give me a minute and I will look up the brand I was told to use.

M-5":3mcp8ez6 said:
Burnt motor oil

That is what we used for the coon hounds to control ticks and mange but not a good prescription for a house dog. The OP does not identify the patient as an outside dog or inside dog. Unless you don't mind old motor oil all over the house and furniture!

Bright Raven":3t0lhbpp said:
M-5":3t0lhbpp said:
Burnt motor oil

That is what we used for the coon hounds to control ticks and mange but not a good prescription for a house dog. The OP does not identify the patient as an outside dog or inside dog. Unless you don't mind old motor oil all over the house and furniture!

Some folks live in environments where it wouldn't much matter.

TennesseeTuxedo":1lkud094 said:
Bright Raven":1lkud094 said:
M-5":1lkud094 said:
Burnt motor oil

without the OP saying , I would assume it would be an outside dog. He asked what might help and in my professional opinion motor oil could help.

M-5":1goqm9f6 said:
TennesseeTuxedo":1goqm9f6 said:
Bright Raven":1goqm9f6 said:

without the OP saying , I would assume it would be an outside dog. He asked what might help and in my professional opinion motor oil could help.

I didn't realize he had a question regarding shingles vs. metal as preferred roofing materials.

TennesseeTuxedo":1a4n0l4w said:
M-5":1a4n0l4w said:
TennesseeTuxedo":1a4n0l4w said:

I didn't realize he had a question regarding shingles vs. metal as preferred roofing materials.

Grasshopper , roofing is just one of my professions.

M-5":1hhey1t7 said:
TennesseeTuxedo":1hhey1t7 said:
M-5":1hhey1t7 said:

I know, you were once an outstanding grocer.

TennesseeTuxedo":245nheea said:
M-5":245nheea said:
TennesseeTuxedo":245nheea said:

I know, you were once an outstanding grocer.

Yes, among other things . My resume is quite extensive

TennesseeTuxedo":1qa0ult0 said:
M-5":1qa0ult0 said:
TennesseeTuxedo":1qa0ult0 said:
Like tomato "gravy"?

your palate is not sophisticated enough to be able to handle tomato gravy and biscuits

You looked those words up didn't you?

Nothing wrong with knowing how to get information. It is the essence of education.

Men are born ignorant, not stupid; they are made stupid by education. Russell, Bertrand. ... If the mind is a blank slate, men are born ignorant. Since knowledge is a subset of true beliefs, stupidity is mistaking false beliefs for knowledge.

Latest posts