Possible abcess? Bump in front of steer's penis?

Help Support CattleToday:

CattleWoman17

Reaction score
:compute: <--- so here is me trying to find oit what the heck this thing is! I can't seem to find exactly what I'm looking for but my steer has a small (golf ball maybe smaller), squishy lump right in front of his penis where his penis comes out. I was touching it and it didn't seem to bother him at all. What could this be? Should I be worried? Thankyou!
And sorry I couldn't get a good picture it blends in so well.
By the way he is a one year old black angus steer. :tiphat: thankyou!

First of all why is your steers penis out? And why are you touching it?

Sounds like a wart. Can affect breeding in a bull, but for a steer I wouldnt worry about it, and I'd leave him alone.

Sounds like maybe an umbilical hernia. Something that small isn;t a problem generally

Could be a hair ring. While I was in Missouri, a Bull Fire Sweep just sold was in for a BSE. Bull had a hair ring. There were three pustules at the tip of the penis. The vet could not complete the BSE. He said it is common.

He performed all the other parts of the BSE and said give the pustules a couple weeks to heal. No long term consequences.

Supa Dexta":12314ouw said:
First of all why is your steers penis out? And why are you touching it?

Sounds like a wart. Can affect breeding in a bull, but for a steer I wouldnt worry about it, and I'd leave him alone.

His penis wasn't out the location in which the bump is in is infront of where his penis is. I was touching it because I wanted to see if it was solid or squishy. Also, I was looking to see if it was warm. That's why I was touching it. And one more time.. His penis was not out. He's a show steer so I'm always checking him to make sure he's ok

dun":2rfkyrg8 said:
Sounds like maybe an umbilical hernia. Something that small isn;t a problem generally

Thankyou! Yeah I was calling around a couple of my buddies and they said probably a hernia. When should I be concerned about it?

CattleWoman17":2qbi21oh said:
dun":2qbi21oh said:

Thankyou! Yeah I was calling around a couple of my buddies and they said probably a hernia. When should I be concerned about it?

If he is a show steer, I'd get it taken care of with a large animal vet quickly. Depending on when your show is, you want to make sure he is healed up in time.

Latest posts