Portable panels

Help Support CattleToday:

BH

Reaction score
I was wondering what y'alls thoughts were on priefert's priemer panels. I am thinking about biting the bullet and getting some. I plan to use them for everything from temp. gates, temp. pens and to use them to build short working alley to my headgate. I run stockers and background steers, probabley the most I'll have at a time is 20-30. (just to give you a herd size to go by). I know there are other brands out there, but not any in my area. Have you guys had good luck with them? Are they good to use in a crowded area? Basiclly, are they heavy enough and worth the money. I am wanting 12' ones.
Thanks, Brett

Prieferts are definately high quality. Their web site shows the 12 footers weigh 97 pounds each so you might consider that if you will be moving them a lot by yourself.

Prieferts are definately high quality. Their web site shows the 12 footers weigh 97 pounds each so you might consider that if you will be moving them a lot by yourself.

I'm young still ;-)

I'm just wondering if they're heavy duty enough, or overkill.

I have about 30 that I use and I like them. They do weigh about 100 pounds and they arent fun to move but I have had a few good size cows run into them without any damage to the panel.

BH

About 2 years ago, I purchased a set of panels, etc from Winkel Mfg in Glen Elder Ks. This is the second set of Winkel panels I have owned. Was in a partnership over 20 years ago & had a set of their panels then. They make high quality products and are good people to do business with. I use standard 12' panels for corrals & the 10' HD panels for the working alley. They custom made solid-sheeted panels with my working alley. Also, I have the adjustable width alley frames. Makes it real easy to adjust the alley narrow for working calves or wider for cows. The standard panels are strong enough to withstand cows running into them, but light enough to handle. I think the 12' weigh almost 100lb. I really like their gate latches & panel connectors.

When I bought my setup, Winkel was quite a bit cheaper than Priefert. While Priefert is probably the cadillac, I didn't feel they were that much better than Winkel's. The main difference I see is Priefert uses powder coat paint, while Winkel dips their's.

This is a link to their website.

http://www.winkelmfg.com/

Just my 2 cents worth

Good luck & happy trails

Brock

As you may recognize, panels can be used in a wide variety of situations. They are great to have.

We have both Priefert Premier, and the lighter weight Preifert panels. The heavier (Premier) panels are exceptionall sturdy but they are also heavy as well. Since one of the main advantages of the panels is the flexibility to use them in a wide variety of venues, you need to move them to accomplish that.

So my strategy has been to use the heavier panels in those areas where 1) bumping is more frequent and 2) fence is more permanent. Since the lighter weight fence can be moved around more easily, I use that for temporary fencing or to augment more permanent fencing.

It is not alot of fun to move around the heavier panels in deep mud.

The lighter weight panels do bend when a heavy weight is placed on them (tree limp), but usually the can be bended back into the approximate original shape.

gates, but we also have

Gotta agree that the light weight ones should not be used where you will probably have fence bangers. They will bend pretty bad when hit by a pi$$ed off or scared steer. I've had dostile cows bend the light weight green ones by sticking their head under the panel and lifting when scared. Any place that you'll have excited animals needs the heavy duty models.
And that'e my two bits worth.
Dave Mc

Thanks, all!
I think I'll start out with a few heavy panels for my alley and if I want some more panels for general stuff, I'll use the lighter.
thanks again,
Brett

It seems every time I need to move panels around.... I am the only one home! I learned a long time ago, set up everything so you can get things done by yourself. A tractor with hay forks move the heavy ones around real nice.

I like the hay fork for moving the heavy ones too, I have some made of 12gauge steel for my alley and sweep and it takes all I can do to move them by hand. (they weigh about 225 lbs each)

I found a deal on the 12' x 12 gauge panels last year and wish I had bought more of them ($80.00 each)

one thing I have learned is try to buy the same type, because they don't always match up to each other. I did have to make me a long pin out of 5/8 round rod to hook up to some of my panels, I made it 4ft long with a bend at the top to form a L shape and it goes through all 4 of the panel pen cleats.

C HOLLAND":1y6sw2xz said:
I did have to make me a long pin out of 5/8 round rod to hook up to some of my panels, I made it 4ft long with a bend at the top to form a L shape and it goes through all 4 of the panel pen cleats.

We use a 5 foot section of 1/2 inch rebar to hook them together.

dun

We got tired of replacing gates and panels-- in areas of pressure.
We have had great luck in not useing the pins and tying them with light cord. I would much rather regroup and retie- than buy and rehang gates and panels.

Also have found that putting a wire panel on the pressure side improoves gates longevity. Its when they get their nose started thru then keep on coming that causes alot of the damage. The small squares of the wire stops that.

PS-- I am posting alot because I have been laid up and I am going stir crazy looking for something constructive to think about :(
Promise when I get up and going again i won't have the time to be here that much.

dun":4dg1zuhs said:
C HOLLAND":4dg1zuhs said:
I did have to make me a long pin out of 5/8 round rod to hook up to some of my panels, I made it 4ft long with a bend at the top to form a L shape and it goes through all 4 of the panel pen cleats.

We use a 5 foot section of 1/2 inch rebar to hook them together.

dun

Dun, I figured someone else out there had to solve that problem also, it sure is better than trying to break out the welder and move the cleats.

Latest posts