portable fence posts

Help Support CattleToday:

frenchie

Reaction score
I was at my neighbors yesterday..He took 15 inches tires and drilled a 1/2 hole on each side just about the bead on them .Them wedged a 3 ft chunk of rebar through the holes.

When it comes time to move electric fence he has made a hook to move the tire . Talk about moving fence fast.Works real well in snow .

I'm interested.......can't put it together in my mind tho...can you get a picture??

For temp posts and frozen, or this year dry ground, we use old bleach bottles with sand in them and poke the fiberlgass posts into the sand

dun

my wife likes plants, so i use those 5 gal containers they come in and pour about 3" of concrete in them put a "T" post in and fill with sand when i have to move them dump the sand pull the post and they are light enough to lift and put away!
the containers come with the plants, only use the concrete to fill the holes used for drainage for the plants, and give a heavy base, can pull the posts no problem, and they are portable.

frenchie":1mhw356n said:
I was at my neighbors yesterday..He took 15 inches tires and drilled a 1/2 hole on each side just about the bead on them .Them wedged a 3 ft chunk of rebar through the holes.

When it comes time to move electric fence he has made a hook to move the tire . Talk about moving fence fast.Works real well in snow .

I can't picture it, either. Any chance you could post a picture? Having spent a fair amount of time driving steel posts today, I'm all for an easier way! Thanks!

msscamp":kj0whzyc said:
frenchie":kj0whzyc said:

I can't picture it, either. Any chance you could post a picture? Having spent a fair amount of time driving steel posts today, I'm all for an easier way! Thanks!

I will..... 1st chance I get.

frenchie":1mtgsce8 said:
msscamp":1mtgsce8 said:
frenchie":1mtgsce8 said:

I will..... 1st chance I get.

Thanks! I appreciate it! :D

Ok, what I'm picturing is:

Take 2 or 3 tires, drill 2 holes in the side walls, bolt them together. Then, drill 2 holes through the treads to fasten a handle. They will look stacked. You could add more tires, if you'd like. In this region, I'd drill several extra holes to keep the skeeters from breeding.

Is that right?

Dusty Britches":1o7nh5bf said:
Ok, what I'm picturing is:

Take 2 or 3 tires, drill 2 holes in the side walls, bolt them together. Then, drill 2 holes through the treads to fasten a handle. They will look stacked. You could add more tires, if you'd like. In this region, I'd drill several extra holes to keep the skeeters from breeding.

Is that right?

Nope ..I will get you a pic shortly..

Lay one tire down flat ,drill a hole through the sidewall, turn the same tire over and drill another hole lined up with the first one.Put a piece of re-bar through both holes, [the tire's flat on the ground the re-bar is sticking up to put the wire on]

So, would you be able to float this tire with the rebar post in the creek? I have a rented pasture that I ran the electric fence from one bank, across the creek to the other bank. Well, out of 50 head, there is one cow that walks under the wire, and has lived in the CRP land most of the summer, with her calf.

Turkey Run":2nvwx238 said:
Lay one tire down flat ,drill a hole through the sidewall, turn the same tire over and drill another hole lined up with the first one.Put a piece of re-bar through both holes, [the tire's flat on the ground the re-bar is sticking up to put the wire on]

Thats it except the holes are drilled close to the bead.

Beefy":13vz47m9 said:
ok now explain the hook part.

The hook is about 3 ft in length..You hook the center of the tire , lift a bit and drag the post to where you want it..You can move portable fence real fast.No need to roll up wire or to drive posts.You just need to slacken the wire a bit .

Latest posts