Portable Corrals

Help Support CattleToday:

TColt

Reaction score
Looking at getting some corrals. Interested in everyones opinions on what people like.

I like the W&W and the Rawhide, but thats just from what I have seen on the internet. Only ones I have used myself are Wilsons. I will be using them for my own cattle, yearlings and cows, but more often for catching stray and wild cattle and working other peoples cattle that do not have working pens.

We catch some cattle that will wreck some pens, so if one brand is short or one brand is not as heavy as another, thats the stuff I would be interested in. These pens will also see a lot of road time… I don't want to drive 30 mph everywhere I go. I also don't want to spend the entire day setting them up or need a whole crew or a tractor to set them up. The old wilsons we use take about 3 people and a tractor, but they have seen better days.

Thanks for any input.

Taylor

Ask skyhightree and Hook what they use and don't buy those. :lol2:
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=92841

I use some Priefert premier panels for a good part of my pen, and they are easy and quick to assemble (chained together) but they are really way too light to use as a portable pen imo.

Have looked at several brands side by side and like the Rawhide the best. Blattner's "duke" comes a close second. These are the heaviest constructed of them all. If I were buying would only consider these 2.

The Rawhide Processor is the way to go in my opinion; one person can set it up in less than 10 min. well built and can pull down the road at hwy. speed.

Thanks, I had never heard of the Rawhide until I did a search on here. I have been looking at it, and am going to go look at it in person when I have all the funds ready.

Thanks for yalls help!

How "portable" do they have to be?

I built some 20 footers out of 3 inch tube steel. Top, Bottom, and Mid rails with a divider at 10 feet. Welded sheep panel to the face of them. "Utility" panel has a 4 inch grid and comes in 16 foot lengths. "Sheep" panel is the same stuff in 20 foot length. 5 feet tall for both.

Worst cattle were illegal aliens from across the Brazos that jumped into my pasture. The owner claimed "nothing would hold them." I told him I had them penned in something that did hold and to come get them.

These panels can be loaded by hand but it is easier to load them with a tractor bucket.

Cheaper and stronger than anything store bought.

I used 2-3/8" oil field tubing, 16' long and cattle panels welded on. I went with the cattle panel because my boot would not fit in the 4" x 4" grid of the utility panel. I have only had to climb the fence once in 15 years but once was enough. Mine are 6' tall. I let the legs extend down a foot below the bottom rail to get the 6' height. I did have to go back and add a sucker rod about 6" down from the bottom rail as I had some new born calves that would squeeze out. Mine definitely have to be loaded with a tractor, but nothing has gotton out either.

Prejudice warning!!!

The OK Corral is the one I like the best.

My partners are dealers, but I have messed around a little with the Wilson and there was no comparison.

Titan will not be the cheapest you will find, but the quality is there. My dos centavos and worth everything you paid for it. :)

backhoeboogie":4boo3viq said:
How "portable" do they have to be?

Very!

I want to be able to hook up to them and pull them down the highway 60 miles at 65 mph like a do my stock trailer. I want to be able to have the full pen set up, by myself, in 30 min or less. I also want them to be big enough that a 2200 lbs bull on the hook doesn't hit the back of the pens and come back over the top of my horse and I before I get the trap shut. I also want to be able to fold them up, hook up to the truck, and go home within 30 min when I am done.

I have panels and all that stuff, Im talking portable pens. Panels won't hold a lot of the stuff I am trying to catch, and they take too long to set up and take down, along with loading and unloading them. I want them to be a set of working pens on wheels.

I also want to use these to process my own yearlings and cows. I don't have one big place and I am not going to build pens on lease places. It would probably cost almost as much to build a set of permanent working pens on my home place as it would to buy a set of portables, and I don't run enough of my own cows to justify building pens at my house (my house in an investment, not a forever place).

I do work enough cows to justify buying pens I can haul. A lot of people don't have pens big enough to even put all their cattle in, let alone a working head gate or chute to work their stuff with. This turns 3 hour jobs into one or two full days, and when your getting day wages, it is the same pay weather it is a few hours or sun up till sun down.

All in all, these would be used for other peoples cattle more than mine, but I would still have them for myself when I needed them rather than hauling to a neighbor. I think with the money that can be made with them, the time that can be saved with them, the fuel that can be saved with them, the other equipment (like panels) that can be saved with them, and the fact that I wont have to build pens at my house, they are a good investment for me. Im just trying to figure out which ones to buy.

If I can haul two horses in that "front horse option" of the OK Corral, that may be the deciding factor for me, I will just have to do some research.

I appreciate everyones help!

Have seen the Rawhide sitting right next to the Ok corral. The rawhide is constructed of larger, heavier round tubing whereas the ok was made of smaller square tubing. IMO-rawhide is quite a bit sturdier than OK. IIRC-Ok looked like a big cow/bull could bend up the panels a lot easier than the rawhide. Really helps to see them side by side. Also liked the Blattner as it is very close to the original Rawhide. It actually had some features I liked better than the Rawhide. Do your homework before making this investment.

Here's a link to discussion on another site:

http://talk.newagtalk.com/forums/thread ... 1#M3666515

Texas PaPaw":5up969a6 said:
Have seen the Rawhide sitting right next to the Ok corral. The rawhide is constructed of larger, heavier round tubing whereas the ok was made of smaller square tubing. IMO-rawhide is quite a bit sturdier than OK. IIRC-Ok looked like a big cow/bull could bend up the panels a lot easier than the rawhide. Really helps to see them side by side. Also liked the Blattner as it is very close to the original Rawhide. It actually had some features I liked better than the Rawhide. Do your homework before making this investment.

Please direct me to a link for a dealer of the Rawhide system PaPaw.

TennesseeTuxedo":zxl2biae said:
Texas PaPaw":zxl2biae said:

Please direct me to a link for a dealer of the Rawhide system PaPaw.

A similar version of the rawhide is made across the street from the OK corral. We have one and I love it, beats the crap out of handling 40 portable panels.

www.linnnpost.com

Latest posts