Portable Chute

Help Support CattleToday:

Jogeephus

Reaction score
Found an old WW Chute the other day and thought it would be nice to have a chute with a trailer. Money seemed ok but it needed a little work. Spent $12 along with some elbow greese so far. What do you think? BTW, what are these things worth nowadays?

Before
IMG_1951.jpg

After
IMG_1954.jpg

Nice job

$700 - $1000 I think would be fair But I've seen them sell alot higher. I know it's rude but how much did you pay for it if you don't mind?

Looks Good! I think a new one like that would be 2500 for sure, we spent 3500 on our hihog squeeze with no transport.
P.S Those headgate cables and fingers don't mix.

EAT BEEF":3bec7899 said:
Nice job

$700 - $1000 I think would be fair But I've seen them sell alot higher. I know it's rude but how much did you pay for it if you don't mind?

Not rude as I brought up the money part. I figure by the time I get the trailer up to snuff I will have around $1300 in the whole setup. Its an older model but everything works well.

I've also been waiting on a Priefert to come up. I know where a brand new one (3 years old) is sitting in some weeds that used to be used by a rich hobby guy. I told him I was interested but he's since moved to the coast and it is still sitting in the weeds. Told him to tell me his price but haven't heard back and I really need another chute on another farm so I won't have to my chute off the load bars.

Horticattleman":1cvlrxfw said:
I'm telling you Jo you need to move closer to me so I can use these things :cowboy: ;-)

Got the trailer in order today so it is now mobile. Well not exactly. :oops: Since we loaded everything with a front end loader I neglected to ask him how it loads on the trailer. Should be simple and I'm sure it is but it sure has this boy stumped. I'll figure it out here shortly or lose a few fingers one. :oops: :lol2: Those things are heavy.

Jogeephus":qricwkxu said:
Horticattleman":qricwkxu said:
I'm telling you Jo you need to move closer to me so I can use these things :cowboy: ;-)

Got the trailer in order today so it is now mobile. Well not exactly. :oops: Since we loaded everything with a front end loader I neglected to ask him how it loads on the trailer. Should be simple and I'm sure it is but it sure has this boy stumped. I'll figure it out here shortly or lose a few fingers one. :oops: :lol2: Those things are heavy.

yes watch your fingers. Before I had my own chute the vet would let me borrow hers.So one day I went to get the chute and stopped in the office to let them know I was getting it.The vets very large helper said let me help you by standing on the back of the chute so it would not have as much tounge weight.Well that big girl jumped off the chute before I had it hooked up and popped the end out of two fingers.I got thirty some stitches out of that deal.

I picked up the same squeeze from a guy that could not use it. (He raises Longhorns)
The only thing I don,t like about the way the side bars are released. May change that out if I ever get time.
Great job.

EAT BEEF":13w6rxbm said:
Jogeephus":13w6rxbm said:
Horticattleman":13w6rxbm said:

yes watch your fingers. Before I had my own chute the vet would let me borrow hers.So one day I went to get the chute and stopped in the office to let them know I was getting it.The vets very large helper said let me help you by standing on the back of the chute so it would not have as much tounge weight.Well that big girl jumped off the chute before I had it hooked up and popped the end out of two fingers.I got thirty some stitches out of that deal.

OUCH!! I probably would have invented a few new words.

Nova, the other one I have has some little thumb locks that work pretty well but they are attached to loops rather than individual rods. Am a little concerned about the pointed ends too but I rarely open the sides anyway so I guess it doesn't matter that much.

We have the same chute. Didn't know it was a WW chute. Good to know. Pretty good chute, but I don't like the side bars either...very hard to get out. Ours has the trailer package with it, although it has been stationary for 10+ years.

We use that same chute but stationary. Seems to be good enough but has a few issues, I added a rope to hold the end gate up when palpating a cow if they jump around some I had the gate come down on me once. We added baler belt to the side bars to act as blinders, this helped get animals in greatly. Still trying to figure out a good way to limit the amount the headcatch can open inward, we have a couple "smart" cows that will hook their nose in the head catch and pull it open and run out the front.

I would be sure to us one of the older Priefert chutes before owning one, I helped a friend work cattle that hhad a Priefert with the foot petal for the squeeze and didin't care for it a bit. I think you would need to be close to 300lb to get a tight squeeze and don't care to stand on one leg while working the chute.

Latest posts