Pork, cow/calf producers to suffer

Help Support CattleToday:

frenchie

Reaction score
Corn prices rise sharply on revised crop estimate
meatingplace.com

USDA revised its 2006 corn production figure downward by 200 million bushels late last week, leading to a sharp run-up in price to nearly $4 a bushel.

The Chicago Board of Trade suspended trade in corn last Friday as the price rose 20 cents per bushel, the threshold at which trade is halted. Corn closed Friday at $3.965, its highest in over a decade.

Corn edged over the $4 level in the futures market, as contracts for delivery in July hit $4.14 per bushel.

USDA revised its final 2006 world corn figure to 10.535 billion bushels, down from its December estimate of 10.745 billion bushels, taking the market by surprise. Analysts say that world corn stocks are at an all-time low, as ethanol production and export demand have drained reserves.

Pork, cow/calf producers to suffer

Dale Durchholz, an analyst with Bloomington, Ill.-based AgriVisor Services, said the price may top $5 a bushel eventually, as increased demand worldwide as well as from the ethanol industry continue to push prices up. "We're looking at a new paradigm here with the energy component in the corn market," he told Meatingplace.com.

Pork producers and cow/calf operators are both going to suffer this year as a result of higher feed costs, Durchholz said. "Feedlots are just not going to pay for feeder cattle with grain costs so high," he said. Prices paid to cow/calf operators could drop as much as 20 percent in coming months, Durchholz warned.

The increased demand is going to result in significant increases in acreage devoted to corn in the 2009 marketing year, he predicted. "We'll reach 2.15 to 2.2 billion bushels this year, but its going to reach 3.7 billion, perhaps 4 billion next year," he says. That won't help the meat industry, though, because nearly all of that increase will go to the ethanol industry.

For more News Headlines, Commodity Quotes, Market Reports, Market Analysis and more, please visit http://www.teamauctionsales.com

Does anyone think soy will go high because of people growing corn instead? That article said twice as much corn next year. My money is with corn cheaper next year with a surplus and soy and some others high, Don't base your year on high prices on corn next year.

I'd say it will call for some different thinking. I read an editorial that brought up the point that hogs and poultry depend on grain for both finishing slaughter animals AND maintaining the mamas. That puts them at a disadvantage to beef, where we can run our cows all year, and the slaughter animals for a significant time on grass and hay.

Feedlots are also able to use ethanol byproducts wet for cattle, while hog and poultry producers require them to be dry because of handling requirements in the finishing buildings.

I'd guess it will probably result in hay ground being put into corn production to some degree, so that will get us too.

My thinking is that if high grain prices hits cattle producers less than other meat animal producers, we'll be good. I don't think very many cow/calf producers can absorb a 20% hit in prices for very long though.

I agree with JKWilson. I also think more CRP acres will get opened up. We are lucky to live close to ethanol plants and will be able to get the byproducts. It's great finally having decent prices for our crops!! Free market economy!

Latest posts