Porcupine

Help Support CattleToday:

Bigfoot

Reaction score
Ok, people will say no way. I went out tonight for my night check on some cows that should calve. I saw what I thought was an opossum from a distance. I keep a long cane on the 4 wheeler I rode up on it to fun it a little bit with the cane. Please don't give me grief about that. I got close enough to touch it with the cane (but didn't). It was a porcupine. I looked on the Internet, and they don't live in Ky. This thing was huge. Equally as big as the biggest coon I have ever seen. It was about as energetic as a skunk, if that describes its nature. I had a dat gone phone in my pocket, and never even thought about taking a picture.
What is the farthest south someone has seen one? There was no mistaking this thing was a porcupine.

Thanks, I thought people would say I was crazy. I have never seen one, and never heard of anyone else seeing one. I also thought they were vicious fighters. This thing was sloth like when it moved. I followed it for a long time on the 4 wheeler. It eased up in a blackberry thicket, and disappeared. I can't believe I didn't take a picture of it.

If you ever have to dig quills out of the face and mouth of a 2500 lb bull, you'll learn quick to kill every one of them.

I literally don't know any of the game laws for my area. I'm not a hunter. I'm not much on a possum hanging around------epm, and my son sells a few fresh eggs. I don't know if I can legally club a possum. That's what I had in mind when I rode up on it. I was feeling bad about not being truthful earlier. When I saw it wasn't a possum, I was just amazed. I thought they could shoot quills at you. It was in the front of my mind, that it could happen. I still just had to follow it. People that have seen them. Are they always that docile? The fastest it moved was in a little short lope, and it didn't stay in that long. I wonder now if it was sick. It was uninterested in me, or getting away.

i don't think they worry too much about predation, hence the lack of fear. one of my friends dog got into a porcupine in new mexico and we had a helava time gittin those quills out. stupid dog did it again the next week.....

Bigfoot":1ftee67h said:
Thanks, I thought people would say I was crazy.

Not saying they don't. ;-) :lol2: :lol2:

Try reporting a panther to the DNR and see if they don't think you should be put in a padded cell. Then try shooting one of these fictitious creatures and see if they don't try removing the pads from your cell. :lol2:

MistyMorning":1atenwdx said:
If you ever see it again kill it, if you have dogs you will never regret that decision!
Hmmmm...... low to the ground, not afraid of anything and prickly.
I'm thinking if you were Native American the porcupine would be your spirit guide.
:lol2:

Porcupines are usually dark brown or black in color, with white highlights. They have a chunky body, a small face, short legs, and a short thick tail. This species is the largest of the New World porcupines and is one of the largest North American rodents, second only to the American beaver in size. The head-and-body length is 60 to 90 cm (2.0 to 3.0 ft), not counting a tail of 14.5 to 30 cm (5.7 to 12 in). The hindfoot length is 7.5 to 9.1 cm (3.0 to 3.6 in). Weight can range from 3.5 to 18 kg (7.7 to 40 lb), although they average under 9 kg (20 lb).[10][9] Their upper parts are covered with thousands of sharp, barbed hollow spines or quills (actually modified hairs), which are used for defense. Porcupines do not throw their quills, but the quills detach easily and the barbs make them very difficult to remove once lodged in an attacker. The quills are normally flattened against the body unless the animal is disturbed. The porcupine also swings its quilled tail towards a perceived threat.

Porcupines are nearsighted and slow-moving. Porcupines are selective in their eating; out of 1000 trees in the Catskill forest, one or two are acceptable lindens, and one is a bigtooth aspen. Consequently, the porcupine has "an extraordinary ability to learn complex mazes and to remember them as much as a hundred days afterward".[11]

The porcupine is the only native North American mammal with antibiotics in its skin. Those antibiotics prevent infection when a porcupine falls out of a tree and is stuck with its own quills upon hitting the ground. Porcupines fall out of trees fairly often because they are highly tempted by the tender buds and twigs at the ends of the branches. The porcupine and the skunk are the only North American mammals that have black and white colours because they are the only mammals that benefit from letting other animals know where and who they are in the dark of the night.[11]

[edit] Behavior

Porcupines are mainly active at night (nocturnal); on summer days, they often rest in trees. During the summer, they eat twigs, roots, stems, berries, and other vegetation. In the winter, they mainly eat conifer needles and tree bark. They do not hibernate but sleep a lot and stay close to their dens in winter. The strength of the porcupine's defense has given it the ability to live a solitary life, unlike many herbivores, which must move in flocks or herds.

Porcupines breed in the fall and the young porcupine (usually one) is born in the spring, with soft quills that harden within a few hours after birth. When porcupines are mating, they tighten their skin and hold their quills flat, so as not to injure each other.

They are considered by some to be as a pest because of the damage that they often inflict on trees and wooden and leather objects. Plywood is especially vulnerable because of the salts added during manufacture. The quills are used by Native Americans to decorate articles such as baskets and clothing. Porcupines are edible and were an important source of food, especially in winter, to the Natives of Canada's boreal forests. They move slowly (having few threats in its natural environment which would give it the need to flee quickly) and are often hit by vehicles while crossing roads. Natural predators of this species include fishers (a marten-like animal), wolverines, coyotes, wolves, bears, and cougars as well as humans. Due to its dangerous quills, the North American porcupine is often avoided as prey and even regular predators may be harmed or killed by their quills. Most predators of the porcupine will attempt to stun or cause massive blood loss with an attack to the face and then will spin them over to their unprotected underside. The porcupine can embed several painful quills directly into a predator's face, which may save their own lives. To avoid predation, porcupines often climb trees at the first sign of danger, since most of their natural predators cannot pursue them once they're arboreal.[12]