popcorn trees

Help Support CattleToday:

jt

Reaction score
there is a little tree that grows real fast, mainly on my fence rows.. i dont know the real name of it, but have been told it is called popcorn trees.

the leaves are kinda oily and the little dudes are hard to kill..

anybody know what kind of tree i am talking about, and how to best get rid of em??

thanks

jt

Sounds like Chinese Tallow Trees. Do a google search and see what they recommend to control it.

Salicylic":3kj8dznx said:
Sounds like Chinese Tallow Trees. Do a google search and see what they recommend to control it.

you are right on... took me forever to get my soooooo sllooooww dial up today to work... finally found a picture..

will wait for a faster time to look for the cure...

thanks

jt

jt":s3rn2t49 said:
there is a little tree that grows real fast, mainly on my fence rows.. i dont know the real name of it, but have been told it is called popcorn trees.

anybody know what kind of tree i am talking about, and how to best get rid of em??

thanks

jt

My God you have the plauge. They were introduced on the Texas coastal plains by ranchers for wind breaks. This tree is invasive and poisonous to cattle. You can kill with roundup/ 2/4D you have to drench the tree. Spray the pasture with grazon to kill the seeds.

Campground Cattle":eh85gy86 said:
jt":eh85gy86 said:

thanks

jt

My God you have the plauge. They were introduced on the Texas coastal plans by ranchers for wind breaks. This tree is invasive and poisonous to cattle. You can kill with roundup/ 2/4D you have to drench the tree. Spray the pasture with grazon to kill the seeds.

i dont think my cows eat em.. anyway.. there are tons of in this area... i have cut em down in the past, but i see that is a loosing battle. fixing to put a hot round of roundup on em and see what happens..

jt

jt, I think Chinese Tallow's are about the easiest to kill of all the trash trees I've made war on. But they are prolific seed producers and good luck to you if your neighbors aren't also trying to keep them out. Remedy & diesel works well but you don't need anywhere near the 25% solution they mention on the label. Remedy is expensive so you may want to experiment with your dosage. I've had good results with a 15% solution, and have been tempted to try 10%. Remember that for Remedy/diesel you spray the lowest foot or two of the tree trunk (preferably on trees that are only a year or two old) and not the foliage. For the bigger, rough bark trees I think the best thing is to chainsaw them and then "paint" the cut surface and all the sides with Remedy/diesel. You'll probably get some root sprouts, but they too can be easily killed.

jt":2hlpquc3 said:
Campground Cattle":2hlpquc3 said:
jt":2hlpquc3 said:

thanks

jt

My God you have the plauge. They were introduced on the Texas coastal plans by ranchers for wind breaks. This tree is invasive and poisonous to cattle. You can kill with roundup/ 2/4D you have to drench the tree. Spray the pasture with grazon to kill the seeds.

i dont think my cows eat em.. anyway.. there are tons of in this area... i have cut em down in the past, but i see that is a loosing battle. fixing to put a hot round of roundup on em and see what happens..

jt

Congrats on the Guru post

Campground Cattle":315t1lt7 said:
Congrats on the Guru post

thanks CC, i dont consider myself a guru.. but i tell you what though... i have learned tons on these boards in those 1000 posts..

jt

Latest posts