Poor udder attachment in heifers

Help Support CattleToday:

Sorry for not getting around to replying to this sooner, been very busy. But thanks to all of you who helped out and posted! I'm going to wait and see how he grows off this year. Right now he's at the pace he should be, so I'm content. On the upside, have another first calf heifer who should be calving in the next couple days. Hope all goes as planned.

Thanks again, everyone is always helpful on this forum!

Another thing to consider, sometimes when a heifer calves for the first time her udder doesn't look real nice. I've seen enough to know that as they develop a lot of them will look better. However, if it's really really bad, chances are it won't develop to be a lot nicer. If it has large teats or is a 'swing bag' it is only going to get worse. But if its just a bit uneven, I've seen them develop out of that.

I have thought about that, but this one I think is just poor form. I guess we've been lucky with good udder form in the past, because this year we've had two with not so good bags. They're both nice and tight, but one has an extra teat and the other is the one I mentioned. I would wonder if it was from out past bulls, but both Mommas were bought with a calf and already bred. Not from the same place, either. Guess we just lucked out on them this year, but they are raising good calves. Just really bothers me to have them with bags like this I guess.

Thanks for the help though, I really do appreciate any and all advice and information.

Can you post a picture of the two you don't like? Maybe they aren't as bad as you think they are, lol. Maybe they are worse. That way we could really weigh in on what we think.

I'll try to get pictures tomorrow, I don't have any current of their udders as of now. I guess it shouldn't matter if the calves are growing off well at a normal place, just one of those things that nags at you I guess.

the extra teat is not un-common. One of our cows has an extra small teat and it has never affected the quality of her udder or ability to raise a calf.

I had known of extra teats, but only to be at the back and not at the front. This heifer's is right in the middle of her udder. Is that common? I couldn't manage to get the picture of the second one today.

The heifer I have been talking about is this one. Her bag fortunately does look better in person, but I wouldn't defend it for anything. She was nursed out in this picture. Very disappointed. Her mother is not longhorn and has a small bag too, looks to be a cross between BW and Angus, but you never know. Not positive about father. :? I haven't been pleased with her. She is not polled like her mother, etc. She does have great temperament, the only thing I really like about her.
iphone0042_zpsa5d44db8.jpg

We run black angus bulls, but have run various black/red breeds in the past. Our cows vary, but I know we have Hereford, Limousin, Angus, Shorthorn(from a few generations) etc, blood from some old Mommas that we no longer have. I have an Angus x Shorthorn(very little shorthorn) that goes way back to the first cow my Grandpa ever bought. Still my favorite with her bag, structure, calf, etc. She was a first calver this year and I'm very pleased.

Hmm, well, that udder isn't that terrible, unless it looks way worse than I think it would when it is full. Teats look to be reasonably sized. Definitely not perfect, but I think it will probably last for quite a few years.

Thank you for making me feel a bit better about it. I just dread seeing it! It bothers me to know that I have such a poor flaw on a cow that I'm raising calves to sell. I don't plan on keeping heifers, so I guess it'll even out. Thanks for the advice and help.

Latest posts