Poop stuck to a calfs rear

Help Support CattleToday:

jhighland

Reaction score
This past weekend we had calves for the first time, two to be exact. One bull calf and one heifer calf. Today I noticed the heifer calf has poop stuck to her rear end. I tried to wipe it away but it is stuck to her pretty good and I didn't want to pull on it and risk injuring her. She can still poop as she went when I was trying to wipe her but it just oozes out. Very sticky yellowy/orange poop. From what I have read that seems to be normal and not worth worrying about. Any thoughts on the poop stuck to her? She is acting fine and it doesn't seem to bother her. I have been spraying both calves with fly spray and for the most part the flies don't appear to be bad. The bull calf has a clean rear end. They are both with their mothers out in the pasture. Any advice for a newcomer to the cattle world would be great.

It's not bothering her, I'd not worry about it. My fly problems have been solved by XP 820 tags, but you wouldn't put them on small calves, just the mamas--I guarantee the babies wouldn't have flies either. Much
easier than spray and probably better for them. You would need someone with experience to apply the fly tags if you ever go that route.
Good luck, get to know your vet and hopefully you have a good one.

I've seen some constipated calves that were... lazy poopers... didn't lift their tail, cow didn't clean them off, and they did get blocked. Maybe 2 or 3 like that out of the 1,000 or so I calved out last spring. Just ride through the herd, grab the tail and pull up, not a complicated problem to fix.