Poop questions

Help Support CattleToday:

Just about all of your cattle molasses in tubs and licks are made from sugar beets which btw are genetically modified. In any event, I'm not sure the cattle molasses is the same as blackstrap molasses.....BSM is made from sugar cane....the third boiling I think.....after most of the sugar has been removed leaving a high concentration of minerals.
Maple syrup is high in minerals also , but not to the degree as BSM. There is also cooking molasses and sorghum molasses that is sweeter that most people use on biscuits etc.....but shouldn't be confused with BSM.
You could probably buy BSM in bulk for cattle tanks but it would probably be too cost prohibitive.

Seems like just eating a balanced diet would eliminate a lot of the problems stemming from trying to go overboard on eating "healthy". I don;t eat that balanced a diet anymore but for 70 some odd years the only real health issues I've had has been from body abuse or agent orange.

Banjo":3vmhhint said:
Just about all of your cattle molasses in tubs and licks are made from sugar beets which btw are genetically modified. In any event, I'm not sure the cattle molasses is the same as blackstrap molasses.....BSM is made from sugar cane....the third boiling I think.....after most of the sugar has been removed leaving a high concentration of minerals.
Maple syrup is high in minerals also , but not to the degree as BSM. There is also cooking molasses and sorghum molasses that is sweeter that most people use on biscuits etc.....but shouldn't be confused with BSM.
You could probably buy BSM in bulk for cattle tanks but it would probably be too cost prohibitive.
OR you could purchase a bag of good cattle mineral for $25-30 and forget all this worry.

TexasBred":2pw5x8q0 said:
Banjo":2pw5x8q0 said:
OR you could purchase a bag of good cattle mineral for $25-30 and forget all this worry.
Good to know about molasses. Certainly did not realize GMO. Thanks.

The reason I test organic minerals is plant based and easily absorbed. Also it is cheaper. But still too strong without adding alfalfa or other high fat item. I'll get there.

Highpoint":18m4dlr8 said:
TexasBred":18m4dlr8 said:
Banjo":18m4dlr8 said:

The reason I test organic minerals is plant based and easily absorbed. Also it is cheaper. But still too strong without adding alfalfa or other high fat item. I'll get there.
Make a note.....alfalfa has an extremely low fat content. If you want fat from a by-product of some kind try rice bran. 12% fat. Stabilized rice bran well over 20%.

TexasBred":2h2z9z1r said:
Highpoint":2h2z9z1r said:
TexasBred":2h2z9z1r said:

Make a note.....alfalfa has an extremely low fat content. If you want fat from a by-product of some kind try rice bran. 12% fat. Stabilized rice bran well over 20%.
Thanks you

TexasBred":ehzwgldp said:
Highpoint":ehzwgldp said:
TexasBred":ehzwgldp said:

Well no rice brand in our area. Their poop went back to a good look until today. Not sure what they do when working cattle but they act slow and tired and poop loose. The calves who were cut are also slow moving which is to be expected.

I was able to get somewhat a test or at least first test. (96) The calves are being weaned and the calves from pasture sprayed did come out heavier. Some weighed over 700 lbs. I am not sure they will keep the 8 cows who were late bloomers that I have been testing as they have a system where they want calves born in spring to sale in fall. Just too much work to wean in January. Another test was on the bull they said could not produce and he did as they tested the two cows who were open and they sure enough are expecting. One apps 7 months and one at 4. Hope I said correctly. Olso found out too they plan on keeping the calves on back 50 acres for another 45 days.

Since this is first year as caregiver my goal is the grass first to allow to have higher carbs in grass or sugars. I read where carbs also give energy. Also their has been a large amount of animals on this small 60 acre pasture and now with bulls joining their 11 big ones and 6 calves with 52 goats. Still enough grass. Soon 96 calves.

Latest posts