Poop for thought, and what does it mean?

Help Support CattleToday:

rockridgecattle

Reaction score
So i was out taking pics yesterday, got cold hands and feed I decided to walk home. Hubby was still feeding. On my little journey i tripped over a frozen pile and thought..."I need a picture of that!"... I think i need a life.
Any how, since i was not happy with what i saw, i went on a poop hunt. I was looking for a decent proper poop pile. It was difficult to find. I was not surprises in how hard it was to find, but it was disappointing. Not surprised due to the quality of our hay because of the harsh haying season.
Poop can tell us alot about how our cows are digesting what they are being fed. Too much or too little protien or fibre.
I think our cows right now are ok. The winter has not been harsh so they have not had to tap into their reserves too much. However the harshes part of our winter is coming. January is known for being really cold and feb can go either cold or stormy. This can reduce their back fat quickly if they do not have the protien they need. Added to the weather is the next 6 months when the most is expected from our cows. They are entering the last trimester, where the unborn calf grows the most, expected to keep condition, building quality colostrum, calve, have a healthy and raring to go calf, produce milk to raise that calf, and get ready for re breeding in June and July.
Feed tests are the best way to understand what is being fed. I mean just cause hay looks nice and green does not mean it has any feed value. We are still waiting on our test results so we have to rely on what is being dumped on the ground to give part of the picture of how they are doing.
We are all cattle producers and see it every day, but what can it tell us....

This picture tells alot. It is dense, hard, and can trip up any farmer who is not watching where she is going due to it's frozen nature. :oops:
This picture tells me too much fibre. I can knock dehydration off my list because i know they all come home for water at least 2x a day. And when they come home, in the morning, they all come home. Plus, since the field is littered with this type of poop, I know that the whole herd can not be dehydrated. As well, since the majority of the herd is like this, I can surmise it's not just the pecked cow who is crapping this way. Pecked cows, or the low on the totem pole cows get the scraps. There are always some, and they would need to be watched that they stay in condition. Some of the bottom dwellers might include soon to be second calvers and maybe an older cow which got knocked down by a younger cow.
IMG_0786.jpg

The next two pictures took alot of hunting to find. They are not perfect piles but they show some promise. It means the fibre to protien ration meaning the TDN is near the right mark. They are getting more from the feed. These piles since they are so far and few, might be from the older boss cows. They are at the top of the pecking order and get the best food.

IMG_0791.jpg

IMG_0788.jpg

I can not believe I sunk so low and just talked poop. Hopefully it can help some newbies to identify some problems that could occur in their herds. I dunno how much feed back this thread will generate, but comments welcome....as always :D And at the very least a good chuckle at the image of RR falling off her rocker!

Most of our cows will have cowpies that look like the first one. However, we are feeding our poorer hay (we're in second trimester) and the cows' BCS is holding steady where we want it. Our feed demands rise in March, when it gets warmer and the days get longer as we head in to May calving. I assume you guys had a struggle getting hay baled without it being rained on out there? We were lucky at our place, but a lot of neighbours had hay that was rained on, or ended up getting wrapped as baleage so it wouldn't get rained on.

Your cattle are not getting too much fiber. Just too much undigistible fiber. Low quality hay that could have been cut well past the prime stage. When the "real winter" weather hits the cattle will probably begin to lose weight pretty rapidly due to lack of both protein and energy. A little protein supplement couldn't hurt anything.

Poop is an awesome indicator of a lot. I go to protein tubs if I end up in your situation. That said, sometimes you just got what you got and and the cream of the cow crop will still thrive and the culls will show their colors as well.

Our hay was cut well past the prime. But flooding and poor haying conditions have a way of putting things on hold. This has been the condition of our hay for four years running. Grain is scarce, and what is available has either low quality or really high priced. The first year of flooding was localized to our provincal area, the North Interlake. Each year the flooding has encoupassed more of the central and southern province. Last year, almost any grain or forage produced in our provience was hit with some sort of flooding. Saskatchewan and the upper states were in the same boat. Finding food which will not break the bank in quality or trucking is hard.
So, protien tubs was the plan we had. Just waiting for the co-op to open (stat holiday and closed tomorrow for inventory) and hubby to get the truck and trailer down there. They are not an economical feed source, but when you have hay, even poor hay, and pellets and grain are through the roof on price, they will do. We have had good success with the tubs.
Texas Bred, you are right...poor choice of words...undigestable fibre.

RR - that was a great post. More cattle producers need to learn how to read their cattle's POOP. I observe it year round. Show cattle on feed, cows on pasture, cows on hay - any problems will show up in their POOP (I like that word :banana: ) faster than anything.
Hopefully some newbies (and some oldies) will pay attention to what you are saying.

Jeanne - Simme Valley":swvo03m2 said:
RR - that was a great post. More cattle producers need to learn how to read their cattle's POOP. I observe it year round. Show cattle on feed, cows on pasture, cows on hay - any problems will show up in their POOP (I like that word :banana: ) faster than anything.
Hopefully some newbies (and some oldies) will pay attention to what you are saying.
And accidentally kick one of those piles in the winter and you can break a toe cause it ain't going anywhere.

After reading this I had to go out again and inspect the gals and bulls meadow muffins. ;-)

They are on green feed only right now and I was worried about too much indigestible fibre as well. So far they are doing great, this was our best green feed to date despite the very wet summer, tons of grain in it although hubby was a little to zealous to bale it and even though we do like a little higher moisture content than most do with their green feed it is a bit too much and some has kinda turned into a fermented bale , cows love it though ... :lol:

I will be putting out protein tubs as well this year RR, only 180 bales of hay did not have rain after it was cut, not complaining though as mediocre feed is better than no feed any day .. :nod:

HD I reckon that's what it's all about. Somebody says something and it gets us to thinking. Can't rest til we check on our own. :clap:

:lol: I've been noticing...Just one of those things I've learned to keep an eye out for. And I am amaized at how much money I've thrown away on supplement over the years.

I would submit if your hay is of questionable quality that you are not wasting money with good protein tubs.
In as much as I am going to feed hay, good or not so good, I am not going to waste time and money to test
what I am going to feed anyway as that is what I have. The protein tubs are the deductible insurance..

I would submit if your hay is of questionable quality that you are not wasting money with good protein tubs.
In as much as I am going to feed hay, good or not so good, I am not going to waste time and money to test
what I am going to feed anyway as that is what I have. The protein tubs are the deductible insurance..
Pretty much spot on... except imo
If you're feeding hay then your feeding cows. Probably daily .
If you're tending cattle daily you might as well use WCS or cake. Cheaper and better. Now if you're grazing a bunch of poor quality grass and you don't need to tend cows, tubs really shine then. And can be worth every cent.

I
Indeed what you have is what you have but I'd rather take 5 minutes to get a hay sample and $12 to get it tested then know how much real supplementation they might need as apposed to guessing and wasting big money on excessive or inadequate protein.