ponds

Help Support CattleToday:

tuck

Reaction score
Anybody ever heard that a triangular pond will not turnover, as opposed to a round pond?

tuck":1n29vcwh said:
Anybody ever heard that a triangular pond will not turnover, as opposed to a round pond?
no ive never heard that.as far as i know all ponds will turn over when it gets hot enough an the oxgen gets low wnough.

Im glad someone asnwered that. I have never heard of that and was curious as to the answer. Couldnt for the life of me imagine why shape would have anythig to do with it.

Especially when, at least in my area, so many tanks are made by damming up one end of a draw or wash out, which has the effect of making a sort of triangular pond.

The reason a pond turns over is thermal. In the summer, the top water is warmer than the deeper water that does not receive as much heat from the sun and the warm air. When winter rolls around the surface water cools with colder outside temperatures. Because heat rises, the warmer water on the bottom of the pond rises and the cooler water on top sinks.
I don’t think shape matters.

alabama":3u0jyzyp said:
The reason a pond turns over is thermal. In the summer, the top water is warmer than the deeper water that does not receive as much heat from the sun and the warm air. When winter rolls around the surface water cools with colder outside temperatures. Because heat rises, the warmer water on the bottom of the pond rises and the cooler water on top sinks.
I don’t think shape matters.

You are exactly right. Depth and weather are the factors.

Pond Turn-Overs

Because of weather patterns that we have been experiencing in past months, many pond owners have seen fish die in their ponds. One of the most serious pond problems is oxygen depletion referred to as a "turn-over". During hot summer weather, surface water becomes less dense as it absorbs heat and floats over a cooler, more dense layer of water. All the oxygen is produced in the warmer layer and the two layers may not mix for weeks at a time, especially in deepwater ponds. Eventually, all the oxygen is used up in the lower, cooler layer by the biological and chemical activities that take place there. A cool snap or a thunderstorm with wind and hard rain can cool the warm surface water making it heavy enough to sink and mix with the oxygen deficient bottom layer. The net result is a dilution of the oxygen and an increase in the demand for oxygen from dissolved minerals and decaying organic matter. To complicate these problems, the algae usually die at the same time.

When a die-off occurs, the green water often becomes streaked with gray, black or brown. The color of the water may eventually become totally brown, gray, black or even milky. A distinct foul smell may also be noticeable. "Turn-overs" cause the most catastrophic fish kills in ponds. Some ways to help avoid this problem are to keep the nutrient level down so that plankton blooms do not become excessive. Risk of turn-over is considerably less when visibility of a white object in the pond is 16-18 inches. Installation of an aerator that can be run at night and during extended periods of cloudy days is good insurance against fish kills. An area of oxygenated water near the aerator will help the fish survive until the pond recovers from a low oxygen period.

The biggest problem I've had was about 30 years ago a bunch of ducks landed on several ponds. It came a quick freeze and froze the ducks to the pond. A big ole coyote saw the helpless ducks and was going for a quick meal. All of those ducks started flapping their wings at one time and low and behold they flew off with the pond. The ducks on the other ponds naturally followed them. Folks were redigging ponds around here for years.

Bama":1j6pwcal said:
The biggest problem I've had was about 30 years ago a bunch of ducks landed on several ponds. It came a quick freeze and froze the ducks to the pond. A big ole coyote saw the helpless ducks and was going for a quick meal. All of those ducks started flapping their wings at one time and low and behold they flew off with the pond. The ducks on the other ponds naturally followed them. Folks were redigging ponds around here for years.
And that's how coyotes got into southern California...
Now you've heard the rest of the story..... :D

Bama":2tp2r24j said:

How long have you been waiting on a chance to tell that story?

Bama":3mgk3bfl said:

Your loss is some one else's gain. Few years back a large flock of Canadian geese hauled a good size lake to my ranch. As luck would have it about that time we got a good thaw.

mnmtranching":po7wf1h4 said:
Bama":po7wf1h4 said:

Your loss is some one else's gain. Few years back a large flock of Canadian geese hauled a good size lake to my ranch. As luck would have it about that time we got a good thaw.
Did yours come with a Coyote too???

Lammie":2rv59iga said:
Bama":2rv59iga said:

How long have you been waiting on a chance to tell that story?

Ever since Fried Green Tomatoes came out . . . :p

I've been telling that ole line way before the movie fried green tomatoes came out. I do like fried green maters though. My wife is fixin them tonight.

Bama":3ulo2izn said:
I've been telling that ole line way before the movie fried green tomatoes came out. I do like fried green maters though. My wife is fixin them tonight.

I have just never developed a taste for them, and I think that's unsouthern, but try as I might I just can't. Maybe the wrong people making them...

Just Curious":2u7ovarl said:
mnmtranching":2u7ovarl said:
Bama":2u7ovarl said:

Did yours come with a Coyote too???

No, but that's how we got Gray Wolves in this area, So they say :roll: