Ponds & Turtles

Help Support CattleToday:

Just Curious

Reaction score
Howdy all...
I'm sure that a lot of you have ponds on your place... We have two. One is about 15' in diameter and about 3' deep and the other is closer to 200' ft x 100' and 3' to 10' deep... This year I found a hole in the center of the smaller one and two holes in the larger one... They are about 1 1/2 " in diameter and they're as if someone took an auger to it... Cylindrical through about 6" of ice... There don't appear to be any tracks to the holes, but the ice is dirty out to about a foot around the holes... It almost looks as if something is coming up from under the ice... Anyone have any ideas>?
Also we have a lot of these red-eared slider turtles in the pond... Can anyone think of any advatanages/disadvantages for having them around. They haven't dragged any of my cattle in as yet.. And they don't seem to bother any of the Brook Trout in the ponds... But because of their shear numbers I starting to view them in the same light as magpies... Any thoughts on these critters?
Chuck

Other then volume of their crap the red ears are no big deal. They will come and go as the food supply comes and goes. Bugs and plants are their primary diet but they will eat a dead dish a frog or tadpole if thy can catch it. If you happen to feed floating fish food they will get pretty adept at eating it too

Latest posts